GSMO - is this a scam?

Ray Friera

I just won a camera(16mm) from Ebay (Item number: 320147088356).

How do I prevent being scammed? I have yet to pay. Please advise.

I,

I advise you ask sellers questions about their items for sale on e-bay and look at their seller's history BEFORE you make a bid. This is the best way for everybody. Some sellers might get tired of people bidding and then not paying.

Regards,

Marc.

• Premium Member

I second Marc, ask yourself this question before you bid. But this auction doesn't raise any red flag immediately. The seller has sold some cine gear before and got good ratings, but you never know. Can you pick the cam up personally? Or have someone you trust do it?

Cheers, Dave

Yeah, let us know.

I hope it's not a scam, because if it is, you're screwed, having paid with PayPal.

I sold some lenses once on ebay. The guy paid me with PayPal, I sent the lenses. Everybody's happy, right?

THREE MONTHS LATER PayPal takes the money from me, and freezes my account. (but only from withdrawing - they let other ebayers keep paying in, I just can't get any of that money!).

I tried to find out what was going on, etc., and all they'd tell me is this: "he paid with a fraudulent check".

They let him keep scamming people for over a month, many deals, many thousands of dollars, until ebay finally cancelled his ebay account.

They did nothing for me at all. They wouldn't even give me enough details to file a police report on my own.

No protection, no help whatsoever. Check out www.paypalsucks.com for a whole lot of horror stories. They're basically like dealing with the mob.

So good luck to you, I hope it works out, but I'll never use PayPal again.

MP

Yeah, let us know.

I hope it's not a scam, because if it is, you're screwed, having paid with PayPal.

I sold some lenses once on ebay. The guy paid me with PayPal, I sent the lenses. Everybody's happy, right?

THREE MONTHS LATER PayPal takes the money from me, and freezes my account.

MP

Same thing happened to me. I sold a mobile Pioneer DVD player for $1,200. Buyer paid with Paypal and Paypal gave him his maoney back cause the did a chargeback on his CC. So he got his $1,200 back AND my mobile DVD player.

I just got ripped off again last month for $25. Bought some small item. I paid, they never shipped. I'm doing the dispute thing with Paypal, but don't expect to get anything back.

Scammers LOVE Paypal. Paypal sucks. I won't buy anything over $25 or so with Paypal.

Edited by AdamBray