gaffing, under water and flash light questions

Hello,

I will be gaffing a short film in the upcoming months and I had a few questions. There will be an underwater scene. A young girl swims to a treasure chest. Any suggestions about how to light a scene underwater, (murky water in order to see light beams). We won't have underwater lights. Besides that our package is pretty extensive.

Another shot requires a dying flashlight on a table. We wanted the flashlight to be facing open toward camera, so we can see the source flickering and dying, I have been trying to look, but do they create bulbs that flicker in such a way. Any ideas?

Thank you.

-Daniel

Another shot requires a dying flashlight on a table. We wanted the flashlight to be facing open toward camera, so we can see the source flickering and dying, I have been trying to look, but do they create bulbs that flicker in such a way. Any ideas?

Yip,

the type of bulb is called a 'flashlight bulb' - its the voltage that causes the flicker

Yip,

the type of bulb is called a 'flashlight bulb' - its the voltage that causes the flicker

der, forgot about that, thanks.

Kinos are included thank you as well. I didn't realize they were designed to be placed underwater? From experience if light needs to travel from above to say a 4ft shallow end of a pool, at night, would 2ks be enough, or should I be using much more. I am just unsure about how much the water will cause the light to dissipate.

I know when you shock a swimming pool with chlorine that would cause a murky look for a little bit.

Edited by Daniel Ainsworth

If Kinoflo's are in your kit, you can put those underwater, just make sure the ballast isn't near it...that would be bad.

I'm curious to hear other people's methods of creating smoke-effect like murk underwater :)

Hi Jonathan, did you say Kino's work well under water?, I didn't know that :blink: , what is the deepest depth they support...?

Thanks for the info

Xavier Plaza