Suspiciously cheap film stock

Ralph Tabith

• Premium Member

If its the same box that was on U.S. eBay this week then yes, too good to be true.

That one was 50 rolls of 50ft DOUBLE PERF. I called Kodak and asked them to check out the stock number and the rep was surprised to find it even existed.

See this on Filmshooting...

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/...pic.php?t=17650

Was this the image?

5d6b_1.JPG

5f6c_1.JPG

Was this the image?

Yeah thought something was up - especially when the seller has sold a couple of lots apparently the exactly the same as this one. Heres the link if its of any point :) -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=008

Just the sight of all that potential film got me excited..

• Premium Member
For what its worth, what do you think of something like this (again equally as dodgy) It seems with ebay i cant help but suspend all my rationale..!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=006

well the "low speed" is print film, so would be cheap even from Kodak. you are really bidding on 2*400 plus 800 and some Polyester Leader. :)

• Premium Member
On ebay, 50 100ft rolls for approx £150 UK (vision 500T) Too good to be true?

Looks true all right, but I am not sure how many folks can use it.

The SP number is 462N.

A quick look at the Kodak Catalog and that sp number is 50Ft on an r-236 50 ft spool. (whatever that is) perfed 2R 3000 for high speed cameras.!

This would be 50 ft at a time, you may have to re-spool depending what the center hole of the R-236 spools look like, and you would have to scan the negative as the long pitch would not probaly give good results in COntact printing. Not to mention that the camera would balk or a least be noisy with the wrong pitch film, (better the camera the more potentail problems.

normal 100 ft single perf is SP number 455.

list is in this PDF file:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...contacts_TC.pdf

as far as the box, I have never seen a 50ft box, and it has been a while since they made 50 ft cans, so I suspect that they just used the 100ft box (same one is used fro Microfilm) and probaly have a 50 ft version of the plastic insert.

Edited by Charles MacDonald

• Premium Member
On ebay, 50 100ft rolls for approx £150 UK (vision 500T) Too good to be true?

how about that, it is actually a catalog item in the curent Kodak Catalog! cat 8594491. they also have 100, 200 and 400 spools - I wonder if the folks that used to use VNF to record "experiments" and "crash Tests" are still out there, and that is kodak's answer

• Premium Member
Yeah thought something was up - especially when the seller has sold a couple of lots apparently the exactly the same as this one. Heres the link if its of any point :) -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=008

Just the sight of all that potential film got me excited..

Actually, based on the fact that these are the EXACT same photos and this seller only has 14 histories I'd bet it's a scam. The ORIGINAL one was not a scam, it was just not made clear what was being sold partly because the seller didn't understand that these would normally be 100' rolls.

I talked to my Kodak rep about the original posting (by someone with several thousand transactions) and she looked up the part number and confirmed that it was made, probably for a special order that wasn't picked up.

Actually, based on the fact that these are the EXACT same photos and this seller only has 14 histories I'd bet it's a scam. The ORIGINAL one was not a scam, it was just not made clear what was being sold partly because the seller didn't understand that these would normally be 100' rolls.

I talked to my Kodak rep about the original posting (by someone with several thousand transactions) and she looked up the part number and confirmed that it was made, probably for a special order that wasn't picked up.

Okay this seller is starting to seem very dodgy.

I think it is the same seller but that they are now selling under an alias because they know what they are selling is dodgy or something. Protecting their good account while selling dodgy stuff on the side. Either that or their last account got shiut down.

The original listing showed a 100foot box clearly labelled as 100foot 2R but when I queried it he admitted this box wasn't actually one from the box of 50 that are all 50 foot. This photo has now rightly been removed from the listing so hopefully people will look on the carton for details instead and notice the bit where it says 50ft.

The seller is being real nasty in a way because note how he states that the 100foot rolls he has are 100 foot rolls but the 50foots he makes no mention of. He knows they are only 50foot because this already came up when I bid on the listing. He is being kind of deliberately evasive. Not outright dishonest but I feel this shows bad intentions.

Facinating that they really are on 50foot spools tho. I wonder if they would fit old 50foot spool cameras like the BB Junior! :)

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Freya, I thought you had purchased them and would have them by now.

For someone who is ok with 50ft reels they'd be fine... and the price isn't horrible for what you get, as long as you know what you're getting and can use it.

If you bought them direct from Kodak they'd be $18 a piece, so $900 worth of film for $300 isn't so bad. I guess you could splice two 50' rolls together for a 100' reel. Pain in the ass to do, but it can be done. Double perf kills it for me, I shoot mostly Super 16.