My team and I plan to creat a new artform

Jack Linder

Hi

My name is Jack Linder.

Though this abrupt turn might seem a bit awkward let me get right to the subject. We live in a society where the media we use is encoded. The great thinkers before us have managed to encode sounds and images using 1's and 0's. Take a digital camera for instance. Using a CCD screen it is able to encode photons of light into numbers to create a cohesive image. The photons are contingent on the pixel count, of course. As the outside image it is recording hits the CCD screen the photons are encoded and translated into pixels. A music CD does a similar action only with sounds. The CD player is able to decode the CD, read it and sound the music.

The human brains sensations are encoded. They are chemically encoded and they are electromagnetically encoded. As you sit in front of you're computer (or in some dreary cases a webtv) there are a series of chemical reacitons regarding sensation. When one "sees" or "touches" or "hears" something its not the outside physical occurrence that evokes sensation but rather the chemical reaction inside the brain immediately proceeding it. What my team and I plan to do is decipher these electro and chemical codes. We will then create an apparatus that would act as a medium. It would be able to "record" these chemical reactions and encode them just as a CD would music. For example we would record the brains response to standing in an open field. Encode the chemical and electro magnetic sensations that would evoke sensations, green pasture, crickets, sunshine. Then someone sitting in just a plain white room could fit himself with the apparatus and be transported to standing in a field. Actualy "record" is a misnomer. You cannot record any sensation. It is encoded, programed.

I know what your thinking...

You are right. There are many contingencies and logistics. One issue is that sensations are too pervasive throughout the brain. Another is that people's biological and chemical response to sensations is each different, rendering this whole endeavor futile. How would the apparatus be applied to the subject, safety concerns, etc,

We are working through these issues. We will continue to work for them. We do have funding but right now that doesn't even matter because we are still in the preliminary stages.

Man's first artistic endevours have been preserved on the cave walls. Art has always been about conveying emotion. As time goes by technology exalts art. Technology also facilitates art. Take for example the visual fields. The murals on the cave walls were the fore fathers to motion pictures today. My team and I hope to evolve humanity and teach compassion.