The Red Camera (http://www.red.com/)

Peter Russ

Any first hand feedback on this revolutionary camera system......?

Hummm....I'm confused...they say they are shipping on Augest 31st, and today is the 27th...so why are you asking if anyone has feedback yet on it?! If you started this thread on the 31st, that would have been reasonable...

Matthew

Any first hand feedback on this revolutionary camera system......?

www.red.com has a list of quotes down the right-hand side of the page, all quotes from those who have used the camera.

Other than those, there is no other first-hand feed back... yet.

Hi,

So it would seem wise to close the thread!

Stephen

EDIT Well it's Friday 31st & I promised to reopen this thread.

Do any of the first 25 recipients actually post here? That's what I've found odd: there hasn't been a single post on REDuser from anybody who has been contacted by RED to arrange delivery of their camera. So who are these people?

(Don't answer if you don't actually know. I'm sure I've got more imagination than most of you put together, so I can make my own wild guesses).

Personally I wouldn't be too happy taking delivery of something that's still being worked on at 1AM on the day of delivery, unless it was a pizza or something :lol:

Mmmmm...Pizza.....

(Apologies to anybody I didn't intend to offend :P )

Do any of the first 25 recipients actually post here? That's what I've found odd: there hasn't been a single post on REDuser from anybody who has been contacted by RED to arrange delivery of their camera. So who are these people? ...

Well, Mark Pederson from OffHollywood is picking up his two cameras in about an hour.

From reduser.net this morning:

Jim - a whole lot of us want to THANK YOU for letting us ride along on your DREAM so we can chase our own ...

You are an inspiration. Period.

See you in 1.5 hours -

BRAVO!!!

Mark L. Pederson - www.OffhollywoodStudios.com

As for those who can't pickup in person, I'm not sure. I'm sure shipping is being arranged.

Edited by Evan Owen

Carl, what do you do for a living? I notice you are not listed on imdb.

I haven't put my name forward for one thing.

Why, do you think I need to?

If you think your chances of gaining useful employment are going to be enhanced by putting your name on there (UNLESS you've actually been responsible for making something people are going to think worth paying money to see), well that just points to your own level of experience.

Of the people I work with regularly, I don't think any one of them would have their name on IMDB. It's just more "Monkey see, Monkey do."

It's all to do with: "Do want to MAKE MOVIES, or do you just want people to know you're a MOVIE MAKER"?

Yes, Carl. What do you do that justifies any response on this thread...Example of work or portfolio?

No... Thought so.

Well again, this is exactly the sort of statement you'd expect from someone who doesn't really understand what is actually involved in making a Movie, TV program or even a commercial, or how the sometimes enormous collection of personnel required gets assembled. (Hint: The phone rings every now and then and somebody says: "Are you available on.... . We're shooting a ..."). You don't actually get work by scanning the "Help Wanted" ads in the local paper.

Pure REDuser: Aided and abetted by the speculations that like-minded amateurs have similarly pulled out of their own arses, they write their own "How It All Works" manual in their head, and anybody who doesn't conform to the orthodoxy contained therein must be an imposter or incompetent.

The percentage of people who actually make a living out of this business and who post on this forum is pitifully small. They may not like my attitude, but they rarely complain that I don't know what I'm talking about.

On the other hand, I've seen absolute garbage spoken by well known and well-respected producers and directors, who are commenting outside their area of expertise. But not usually from Directors of Photography....

Here's the bottom line: If I had a RED, I would almost certainly be able to make money with it (well assuming it works even half as well as the hype suggests). Most of the REDuser fanboys wouldn't be able to make money with it even if you could do all the editing and special effects on-board and churn out a 4K release neg from a $500 bolt-on minilab!

Again, my apologies to all those those it was not my intention to offend,

Carl

I haven't put my name forward for one thing.

Why, do you think I need to?

Of the people I work with regularly, I don't think any one of them would have their name on IMDB. It's just more "Monkey see, Monkey do."

It's all to do with: "Do want to MAKE MOVIES, or do you just want people to know you're a MOVIE MAKER"?

Hmm. Getting defensive. Ok. It's not a matter of self-publicity. If you do anything thats got distribution, or been broadcast on tv, or had a cinema release, you don't HAVE to submit your name to IMDB. Other people will...

If you think your chances of gaining useful employment are going to be enhanced by putting your name on there (UNLESS you've actually been responsible for making something people are going to think worth paying money to see), well that just points to your own level of experience.

...or you can question my experience if you prefer, and make up stuff I never said to argue against...

R.

I enjoy scanning these forums for useful information as well as being able to offer input of my own whenever I'm able. It's unfortunate that most of the RED threads I've browsed through have very little to do with the camera itself.

For that reason I'll offer this: I've seen the camera in person. I've seen what it can do. I've seen the output, as well, as a film out. My opinion isn't based on third person accounts or speculation. With that in mind, the RED is real, it can do what Jim and Co. claim and I wouldn't suggest to anyone that the technology is questionable at this point. As with any innovation, there are bound to be hiccups and things to tweak as time goes on. That's certainly not a reason to condemn anyone brave enough to attempt something new. Even if delivery had to be delayed for a day or a month, it doesn't mean that it doesn't work. A delay would just mean they want to deliver the very best they are able to at this point in time.

In any case, from what I've personally seen in the field, the camera takes great pictures and I look forward to seeing the work that is generated by skilled cameramen with it. :)

• Premium Member

The advanced title has nothing to do with what the people who run the forum think of your knowledge, just based on post count; and to be honest it seems your post count has been generated through a bunch of RED arguments, not much productive.

I enjoy scanning these forums for useful information as well as being able to offer input of my own whenever I'm able. It's unfortunate that most of the RED threads I've browsed through have very little to do with the camera itself.

I think that there is some truth to that...

I'm not pro Red or non Red... again just hated the marketing which for some it worked and for a lot of other people it turned them off... and I hated the fact if you asked a tough questions you got attacked... no I just want to make sure something worked... just like when you send in your ac's to prep the camera for your shoot... that way when you start the shoot... you'll know that everything works...

And in the end it really became a soap opera... where everyone wanted to see what happens next...

But now that the camera has been released... now its time for the camera to be put to the test... that will determine if it will take over the market... which I don't think it will... who knows... I like the idea of it being something good... it just might bring prices down...

But in the end... it'll be just another tool in the toolbox for the craftsman to use...

In any case, from what I've personally seen in the field, the camera takes great pictures and I look forward to seeing the work that is generated by skilled cameramen with it. :)

I've never said there was anything wrong with the pictures the RED produces. They would have to be at least as good as the D-20 produces, and that's an excellent camera, but it's rather expensive to rent, and more cumbersome to use.

Problem is though, one way and or another all the images we've seen thus far, RED themselves have a hand in their distribution, so, while we know ithe RED is capable of taking good images, we don't know how much trouble they had to go to to get those images. But again, I don't really see why it would be much different from using the D-20.

And I also look forward to seeing the work that is generated by skilled cameramen with it, and I've said this on numerous occasions.

But most of the RED's more ardent supporters are not skilled cameramen, although they seem utterly convinced that the RED going to electronically generate the skill required.

If instead of the RED, jannard had produced a $20,000 version of the Arricam, and found a way to reduce the cost of 35mm film so that it cost the same as tape, we wouldn't suddenly expect to see twenty Lord of the Rings trilogies come out every month. All we'd see is the equivalent of YouTube on 35mm film.

Problem is though, one way and or another all the images we've seen thus far, RED themselves have a hand in their distribution, so, while we know ithe RED is capable of taking good images, we don't know how much trouble they had to go to to get those images. But again, I don't really see why it would be much different from using the D-20.

I don't intend to be drawn into a war of semantics, I just wanted to offer my own first person account and opinion of what I've personally seen. You are still questioning the images you've seen because they came from RED, but I just got done explaining that I've seen the process and images personally, so I'm not sure what issue you still have beyond not knowing me from a hole in the ground. :) That said, I have no agenda either way. I consider all cameras as tools to be used when appropriate. As fantastic as I believe RED to be, unfortunately for me and what I do, the post workflow isn't terribly conducive to my needs at this time. That doesn't impact my positive opinion of the camera and of the images I've seen.

And I also look forward to seeing the work that is generated by skilled cameramen with it, and I've said this on numerous occasions.

But most of the RED's more ardent supporters are not skilled cameramen, although they seem utterly convinced that the RED going to electronically generate the skill required.

If instead of the RED, jannard had produced a $20,000 version of the Arricam, and found a way to reduce the cost of 35mm film so that it cost the same as tape, we wouldn't suddenly expect to see twenty Lord of the Rings trilogies come out every month. All we'd see is the equivalent of YouTube on 35mm film.

I'm just curious, but you seem to be taking more issue with the potential users of the technology than with the technology itself? As they say, a gun doesnt' kill people.... ;) Look, Jim has a genuine interest in creating a viable new tool that can be used for both feature level projects as well as broadcast standard projects...at a more affordable price point than has been previously available. Money doesn't seem to be his motivation (not that it has to be). With that in mind, I'm not exactly clear on why I've read so much negativity from so many people over the past few months toward the RED group.

Anyway, those purchasing are merely consumers with money to spend. Whether they choose to make a feature with their camera, rent it out to others, make a bad indy film (or a good one), or use it as a boat anchor, is their business. Perhaps if more people invested their time in making their own projects better instead of worrying about how others will spend their time, we might see more quality projects from everyone. :) Today it is the RED camera. In a year or so, it'll be something else. In twenty years, we might be talking about some new VR 3D thing that renders all the past technologies obsolete. Or maybe our ability to make electricity will vanish and all of us "filmmakers" will have to revert to telling our stories around a campfire. In the end, a camera is just a box with a hole in it and some of those boxes have more bells and whistles than others. The box itself can't tell a good story or create beautiful pictures on its own. RED is a great camera, just another in a long line of cameras, but a great camera nonetheless. If you don't like what it can do, don't use it. Buy something else. If you don't like what others create with it, don't watch what they do, watch something else. It's pretty simple. :)