the action film genre is dead

Yeah, all this falling out of a plane with a mini-gun and blowing up satellites with your 9mm as you fall crashing into an apache helicopter, then you throw the pilot out and fly down into a burger king drive-thru because now you're hungry.

Whatever happened to a story and real action. It hurts when you get shot and you just drop like a sack of potatoes. Most of the time the police show up and you give up like a pussy. We need more movies like that.

Shoot 'em up Scott! Yeah I say give any american male age 14-59 a check for 40million dollars with specific instructions to go and make an ultra-violent 90-120 minute feature. I don't think anyone would be disappointed.

Guns blasting away!

Edited by Niki Mundo

Yeah, all this falling out of a plane with a mini-gun and blowing up satellites with your 9mm as you fall crashing into an apache helicopter, then you throw the pilot out and fly down into a burger king drive-thru because now you're hungry.

Sounds like a great intro to a spoof action flick :)

• Premium Member

I thought that was, Snakes on a M***** F****** Plane!

I brought this up in one of the Bourne Old Tomato threads. Is this what it really takes to put the butts in the seats? Is sense loading what it has become all about? It does seem that story telling has taken a back seat. Indeed, they will have to come up with a new catch phrase that goes well beyond, "suspension of disbelief." I suspect that we the viewer, in general, have become either too jaded by so many remade stories or too stupid to enjoy a story. Maybe, it's just because so many people are on SRIs (Prozac, et al) that stuff that used to be amazing is now boring.

• Premium Member
I brought this up in one of the Bourne Old Tomato threads. Is this what it really takes to put the butts in the seats?

Well, many people think (including me) that The Bourne Ultimatum is one of the rare smart action films of the summer, and one of the best action films in years. I'm sure not everyone gets it, but it's certainly much better than a lot (most) of the action films being released.

To answer your question: Yes, a smart film DOES put butts in the seats.

And by the way, the whole "Old Tomato" thing isn't funny. Of course, I'm assuming that it's supposed to be funny...my apologies if that's not your intention.

Explosion with a witty post-modern take? Yeah I can do that.. just gimme some mon-ey. Because that's the only way I'll be able to make a Bourne Ultimate Cheesburger.

Pleeeease.

Gimme $150,000 and and some nice lenses and I'll give you 10 minutes of a awesome "smart" car crashes, cops gettin' shot (real cool like) and a crack head running some pregnant chick over with a BMX.

Wittiness of the story aside, the "Bourne" films' cinematography is unique for me in that it makes me physically sick watching them, not the whole film, but that car scene takes shakey-cam, docu-drama shooting style to extremes.

Why is it that filmmakers seem unable to make movies these days with a good story, good acting, and good cinematography? Like the vaulted triple crown, I think this fabled trifecta of filmmaking has gone unachieved for several years now.

Why is it that filmmakers seem unable to make movies these days with a good story, good acting, and good cinematography? Like the vaulted triple crown, I think this fabled trifecta of filmmaking has gone unachieved for several years now.

I saw "Death at a Funeral" the other night; it had all three. But no car chases. And I noticed the film, in its 3rd week here, had an audience of more than 50 people. Some folks will still see a movie without guns, explosions, etc.

• Premium Member

What makes the "Action Genre"?

Car chases?

Explosions?

Gun fire?

Big stunts?

A script that makes sense and involves the audience so they care about what's going on?

Quite a few Sci-fi, Drama, Thriller, War, Western, and Mystery films get thrown in the "Action Genre" IMHO.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Marc