moving to LA, need friends

Soooo, I finally decided to move out to LA as soon as I can, ideally sometime before winter. Apart from trying to line up a sublet, I also need to start building a more solid network of industry folks out there. I'm a camera assistant in Local 600, I've been working freelance full-time for about a year. Before that, I worked at Arri CSC and also worked on jobs as an AC when I could fit it in. Right now, most of the work I've been doing is still mostly non-union, but the union stuff is starting to build up, which is cool. If I had my way, I'd prefer to work on film jobs over HD ones, but hey, a job's a job and the newer technology is always interesting (I am dying to work on a Genesis job!).

I'm familiar with virtually every camera out there and I am as comfortable loading as I am pulling focus or 2nd ACing. My day rate remains all over the place depending on the job and on the circumstances, but I'm trying to edge my way out of the low-budget world one job at a time and would love to get on bigger jobs as a loader, even if it's still non-union.

I'm Aquarius, I love longboarding and walks on the beach...ha ha...anyway, if anyone in LA wants to say hi (or better yet, if you're looking for an AC or loader!), holla back.

p.s. Any general (HELPFUL) advice about making the big move would be advisable. I know that you have to tape the boxes shut and don't put the kitchen stuff on the bottom, and I also know that the traffic on 101 is going to be hell... but I guess I'm wondering more about some of the differences out there between film, TV, union, indie, etc. And also, hypothetically, how screwed would I be if I didn't have a car right away? (Gimme a break, I'm a New Yorker! :P )

Email, PM, call, reply, or let's just go skate together when I get out there (and talk shop!)!I'd love to hear what everyone's working on out there and how they got started.

• Premium Member

I just made the same move. I won't pretend to know anybody or have connections, but let me know if I can help somehow.

A car is pretty much essential. There are buses and the metro but they're not very practical for a lot of locations.

As far as apartments, try to find something on the west side: hollywood, west hollywood, culver city, palms, mar vista. All of those are nice areas and nice affordable places can be found. If you don't already know about it, you might check out www.westsiderentals.com. it's a listing service that a lot of people use. It costs a fee but you can recoup most or all of it in rebates offered through them.

• Premium Member

> And also, hypothetically, how screwed would I be if I didn't have a car right away?

Given my LA experience as someone who operates mainly in London (with its NY-style public transport), the answer is: extremely screwed.

It has struck me in the past that it might be a fantastic city for cycling, given that the distances generally aren't that great and one could usefully skirt the pan-galactically-insane traffic conditions, although you'd be taking your life in your hands and transporting more than a fairly modest AC's outfit would be difficult. And that said, the distance between any two of the major studios is probably too much for it to work as a "getting to work" tactic.

Phil

You obviously haven't seen me skating to work with a backpack, Harrison bag, set bag, and changing tent...it can be done! :lol:

Honestly, I don't really have a solid answer for people when they ask about the car thing. It's obviously one of the first things I thought of when I decided that I really do want to go out there...and I know it's a pretty big risk to try and get by without one, but I feel like I won't really know what I'm up against until I go out there and see for myself. It sounds really stubborn and foolish, but it's just the way I am and I can't explain it any better than that, nor can I say with a straight face that it's just as easy to get around in LA as it is in New York. But, I have a history of taking seemingly ridiculous risks and eventually landing back on my feet...well, except for the time I landed on my head, but these things happen and now I wear a helmet when I snowboard. ;)

And as far as the studios go? Well, realistically, what are the odds that I'd start right off working on jobs like that anyway? I started out in New York with these little podunk indie gigs and I STILL do those on occasion just to keep paying the bills...joining the union was by no means a magical solution guaranteeing bigger jobs, which I knew when I signed the paperwork and don't regret for an instant.

So yeah...I see your point, but I'm just saying, um...I'm really stubborn and it's impossible to talk me out of stuff! If push comes to shove, I wouldn't mind working at a rental house again just to have something to get me going, and then taking it from there.

• Premium Member

You need a car in Los Angeles. Sure, occasionally you get super-lucky and can bike somewhere, but LA is too big & spread-out in general for that. If you choose to live in Sherman Oaks, let's say, one day your shoot may be in Santa Clarita and the next day, in Long Beach.

Even the distance between Panavision Woodland Hills versus a rental house in Culver City like Keslo Cameras is not practical to bike between.

• Premium Member

I'll chime in on the car thing as well. You have to have a car. I've shot in many places where you simply couldn't take the bus, even if you wanted to. Of course, if you were willing to walk five miles after getting off the bus maybe you could, but is that really an option? It's just not like New York where you can catch a bus or train to anywhere you need to go. It would be a severe hardship to try to work out here without a vehicle.

Well, my brother is thinking of selling his car because HE'S moving to New York! So who knows....I will see what I can do. I still have a few months to plan this through; my main goal is to be out there by the winter, since the winters here are so slow.

Thanks so much for all of your advice thus far!

• Premium Member
Well, my brother is thinking of selling his car because HE'S moving to New York! So who knows....I will see what I can do. I still have a few months to plan this through; my main goal is to be out there by the winter, since the winters here are so slow.

Thanks so much for all of your advice thus far!

Let me know how it goes. If you're looking at a place in the Hollywood area I might be able to check the neighborhood out for you. Stuff changes block to block almost so it's hard to know if you found a nice area or not until you check it out.

You need a car, period. Sell some AC gear if you have to, it's that important. You will not be able to work without one.mLAmis about 15 times the size of NYC with comparably pathetic public transportation. All you need is one person to say you don't have a car and word will get around and no one will hire you. If you can't get a car, you're not ready to move here.

If you can get a car, great. I'll throw your name to some of my ACs. We're always looking for loaders and 2nds.

O.K. so everyone has beaten the car thing to death, and they are right, you don't want to be stubborn on that point it will make getting gigs and getting to your gigs way to difficult. It will also certainly make you LATE for gigs.

Second, union work in LA does have its cycles. getting here right before winter may not be the best time. For example, in TV there are really no good sized shows starting up Oct - Jan. Naturally, if you don't mind doing super low or no paying gigs they are always around.

• Premium Member
If you can get a car, great. I'll throw your name to some of my ACs. We're always looking for loaders and 2nds.

Are you "always looking" enough you would do the same for me? I'm dying to get some better gigs. I'm not a union member yet, though.

Yeah....that's sort of what I expected. Like I mentioned above, I'm definitely not opposed to starting small- I mean, that's what I did when I came to New York and I feel like for me personally, it was a good way to go. This is gonna sound weird, but part of why I'm eyeing winter as a time to go out there, is because since there won't be THAT much going on, I won't risk missing anything big while I'm still trying to get my poop together and find my way around. You know what I mean? As far as housing goes, for example, I was planning on trying to sublet a place that's even a little cheaper than what I pay now, even if I have to live with a couple other people or whatever. I mean, I'm just trying to cover my ass. Whatever potential sacrifices I might have to make, I'm willing to make them if it means being where I want to be and eventually doing what I want to do.

Hmm, what else...what can you guys tell me about some of the rental houses out there? That would be another backup plan for me- to try and work as a prep tech again. I've been to Panavision Woodland Hills for a checkout, but I'm not familiar with Panavision Hollywood, Keslow, or Clairmont (although I do have two friends from school who work at Clairmont). Here in New York, the two biggest ones are Panavision and Arri CSC. CSC is mostly commercial/music video guys, with Pany being more of a features/shows type of place.

Also, what do you LA guys like to do when you're NOT working? :-)

Also, what do you LA guys like to do when you're NOT working? :-)

Swim (it's damn hot out here in the Valley)

Mountain Bike and Hike (great trails in the Santa Monica Mountains)

See movies (lots of great theaters with airconditioning)

Dodger games

Wait for the next earthquake to help pop the real estate bubble. :D

Are you "always looking" enough you would do the same for me? I'm dying to get some better gigs. I'm not a union member yet, though.

Yes of course I would, but everything I've been doing in the last couple years has been union. Occasionally there is something...but yes, I'll take resumes and pass them on. People passed me around long ago and it's good karma to do the same for others.

You guys wanna buy some tape? ;)

Thank you Eric, I'm glad you guys are being real with me here! Would you mind if I emailed you my resume just to have on hand?

Wouldn't mind at all.

Keep in mind most employers out here require or expect employees to have a car.

Also...if this writer's strike does happen, there may not be a ton of work come spring of next year.

• Premium Member
Yes of course I would, but everything I've been doing in the last couple years has been union. Occasionally there is something...but yes, I'll take resumes and pass them on. People passed me around long ago and it's good karma to do the same for others.

Thank you, Eric. That's very generous. Like I said I'm not union at the moment like Annie but I'm hoping to be able to change that in the near-ish future. May I send you my resume via your mediumgrey e-mail?

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Ohh yeah...the strike. :sigh: Well, we'll see what happens I guess. Don't worry, I will have a car when I get out there-come hell, high water, or selling half my stuff! I'll send you my resume today.

So, Annie, where are you? Did you make the hop just in time to get hit by the strike? It'll be bad both places, but I'd guess worse out here.

-- J.S.

Well, I'm still in New York...I got on a show for a little while so I'm just trying to keep making money. I have a feeling I'll be sticking around here a few months longer than I had anticipated, in part because I can't break my lease and can't find someone to sublet my place, and in part because of the strike. I'm kinda not looking forward to another winter but I'm figuring that by the end of February, it'll make more sense to leave and things won't be quite as slow. (Plus, there's always snowboarding!)

It's kinda frustrating because I was hoping to be out of NYC sooner, but since I'm actually doing okay with work, I don't want to rock the boat and I don't want to make any rash decisions that will end up screwing me over. I mean, it would be crazy to leave my well-established network here in the middle of the winter and in the middle of the strike, and have to start over out in LA at such a slow time. Granted when I came to New York, it was the dead of January and I knew ONE person in the industry, but I like to think I've wised up a little since then! So, we'll see how it goes...