JUNO premiered at the Toronto Film Festival last night. To be there with all the others who made the film, most of whom I call friends, and see the enthusiastic response by the audience made the night unforgettable.

I knew it was going to be special when I saw people lining up from two blocks away. There must have been 2000 people. I knew we were getting buzz but this was incredible. All the actors were there doing their thing on the red carpet as I found my way inside...oh look, it's Roger Ebert sitting in the back row. (deep breath...and exhale) Big screen. And a balcony. (deep breath) The actors came in and sat..Jen brought Ben so there was a bit of a commotion trying to get everyone seated so we could begin. Girls seemed to be equally interested in a view of Michael Cera.

Jason, director, gives the intro. Lights down, the Fox Seachlight logo/intro...love that theme. Goosebumps, fingers crossed the projection is good. Guys running around in night vision goggles looking for pirates.

90 mins later, fade to black. Standing ovation. Still going...and going....and going....credits at the "Thank You.." and lights come up. Jason basks in the response as he is invited back up to the stage. He brings up myself, producers, editor, PD...then actors one by one. The view from stage was amazing. 99% of the seats still filled, good for any Q&A. Big theater.

The party after was amazing and underscored a night to remember. Lots of pictures and good conversation.

Next morning, waiting for my plane, I overheard a few people talking about how it was the best film they've seen all year.

Ebert's brief review

another report from the premiere

"...to the off beat and colorful cinematography..."

Sounds like you did well and set the film apart from other comedies. Congrats!

That was definitley a goal of mine. The script, to me, felt more dramatic punctuated by hilarious beats...very dry humor. Colorful I get, not sure what off beat means....maybe not typical for a comedy?

Now that the film has premiered, will you be able to post any shots of your setups? Congradulations on the great reception in Toronto.

Hmm, good question....

I don't think I can show any of the actors or the stand ins....and I can't find the few pics I took of the overall lighting setups. I only found one pic I think I can get away with showing, though it's not very revealing..

DSC_0002_2.jpg

There is also a recent pic the director took of me on his iPhone during the DI. He calls it 'Minority Report' and posted it on his blog on the Juno website.

353.jpg

I looked at the DCI (digital projection) master of the trailer today. I can't wait for digital projection. It looked gorgeous. The process used to make the DCI is that the DI files (2k in my case) are projected as they are during the DI, but this time instead of a Kodak LUT, they use a LUT that represents the DCI xyz color space. There is an interesting article discussing the DCI conversion process here here.

What I would give to have the actual film shown digitally in selected theaters.

The trailer looks great Eric, I can't wait to see it. The cast is really impressive, and J.K. Simmons is probably my favorite character actor working right now.

Congrats on the movie.

Thanks Patrick. I don't like that it's in flash video though...it seems to have lost a lot of it's warmth and overall saturation in the encoding. I'm eagerly awaiting the Quicktime versions. The studio sent Apple a D5 master and they make all HD and standard quicktimes from it.

I just got an email saying JUNO got 1st runner up at Toronto yesterday behind Cronenberg's film. Pretty cool for an "indie dark comedy" in the company of 355 other films.

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched the HD version of the trailer on apple's website. It looks really good. How was the orange glow to the sunset achieved in the first shot of the trailer? Was that through the D.I. or filters?

I am excited to see it. It seems like the film will benefit from a similar sense of humor to that of Thank You For Smoking, which was both clever and honest.

-Patrick

I just watched the HD version of the trailer on apple's website. It looks really good. How was the orange glow to the sunset achieved in the first shot of the trailer? Was that through the D.I. or filters?

I am excited to see it. It seems like the film will benefit from a similar sense of humor to that of Thank You For Smoking, which was both clever and honest.

-Patrick

For some reason the trailer of JUNO on Apple's site it very magenta in the skin tones. Every other version, incuding my dvcam, is fine so I don't know what happened especially since Apple made their quicktimes from a D5, I'm told.

We didn't know we were getting a DI until after the film was finished so becasue of that I did everything in camera...so the orange sky was filtered...I think a sunset 3 grad with an 81C or an 812. That shot was also made on the 20mm prime panavision made for us...I think the only shot we used the 20 on that made it into the film.

I don't think it is quite the same humor as Thank You for Smoking, but it is very clever amid an honest and sweet story. Very different movies, IMO.

For some reason the trailer of JUNO on Apple's site it very magenta in the skin tones. Every other version, incuding my dvcam, is fine so I don't know what happened especially since Apple made their quicktimes from a D5, I'm told.

We didn't know we were getting a DI until after the film was finished so becasue of that I did everything in camera...so the orange sky was filtered...I think a sunset 3 grad with an 81C or an 812. That shot was also made on the 20mm prime panavision made for us...I think the only shot we used the 20 on that made it into the film.

I don't think it is quite the same humor as Thank You for Smoking, but it is very clever amid an honest and sweet story. Very different movies, IMO.

Eric, I just saw the trailer on the Apple website, and between that and the reviews I read, I think not only is it going to be a great film, but it's probably going to get you some really good work over the next several years. It'll be cool to see what sort of projects come down the pipeline for you next. Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...