2perf vs. Super 16

Gary McClurg

• Premium Member
Ultimately, S16 will be cheaper.

For similar run times you'll need the same amount of footage... however a 400' roll of 5218 costs more than a 400' roll of 7218.

Not to mention the camera kit may go for less etc....

Hi Nathan,

You will need 2.5 times more rolls of 35mm, only 16 frames per foot V 40 frames per foot.

Stephen

• Premium Member
You will need 2.5 times more rolls of 35mm, only 16 frames per foot V 40 frames per foot.

Hi Steven,

I think you're off here. They are talking of 2perf vs. S16. So shouldn't 2perf be 32 frames per foot? Which makes 25% more rolls?!?

Cheers, Dave

I was thinking that 2perf doubles your running time...

So on average you get 10 minutes out of a 1000' foot load... so that would mean you get 20 minutes...

So if you can get Fuji 35mm for $400 bucks for a 1000' foot load that would be the same as 2 400' 16mm loads at $115 bucks a roll... so that's $400 vs. $230... plus lab, etc.... so S16mm would be cheaper if my running times are close... the only thing last time I checked into renting S16 is that I could get a better deal on a 35mm camera because everyone wanted to shoot S16 at the time... so who knows have to add those numbers in as well... but then again would a 2perf cost more or equal to a normal 35mm rental...

Edited by Gary McClurg

• Premium Member

No so Stephen, as David pointed out, we're talking 2-perf. >8)

2p effectively doubles your running time as you're halving the height of the frame, fitting twice as many images on a roll of film (compared to 4p).

but then again would a 2perf cost more or equal to a normal 35mm rental...

I believe a 2p, 3p or 4p camera would all cost the same to rent (taking into consideration if it's an old camera or new, from a rental house or an owner).

• Premium Member
Hi Steven,

I think you're off here. They are talking of 2perf vs. S16. So shouldn't 2perf be 32 frames per foot? Which makes 25% more rolls?!?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes I screwed up on that one! Whilst writing the answer, I was receiving & writing Emails relative to the Red forum, which was getting a new post every few seconds as well!

Sorry Nathan my bad!

Stephen

• Premium Member
Yes I screwed up on that one! Whilst writing the answer, I was receiving & writing Emails relative to the Red forum, which was getting a new post every few seconds as well!

Hehe, I know the feeling. That's what happens when you do more than you should at the same time... :D

Cheers, Dave