Rigging a person

• Premium Member

Not 100% sure if this is the right forum, but Try it here anyway:

I have to rig a woman to hang, dead, by her wrists from the ceiling of a warehouse (20 ft ceiling tops) maybe 2 or 3 feet above the ground. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this type of shot. She's being suspended by a chain/rope which I figured Id attach to something which she can hold onto and just dangle from; but any advice would be useful.

• Premium Member

I will tell you exactly how to do it safely. You hire a properly qualified stunt coordinator to do it for you.

Hanging someone by their wrists is fairly (or very, I'm not a doctor) likely to do nerve damage. The hands are very sensitive and have a lot of nerves and tendons to make it work, most of which go through the wrists. You do not want the lawsuit of someone who has lost function of their hands because of you.

Edited by Chris Keth

what your asking to do requires a skilled professional with specialized gear. If you dont know how to do it shoot around it. It is Very Dangerous. It could very quickly maim, and kill someone.

1 you have no way to guarantee the rigging points for weight bearing for personel.

2 you have no way to grasp their wrists where ALL the nerves and tendons enter the hands.

3 It really is a case of if you dont know call someone else. your personal liability here is extremely high. you could lose not only the respect of your peers but also anything you have earned and will earn.

BE THE BIGGER MAN AND BE THE GUY THAT FINDS SOMEONE WHO CAN DO IT. Locate a stunt professional in your area. they are very willing to help people out including low budgets and micro budgets. tell them what you are wanting to do, they will let you help them do it. It will also expand your contacts for future productions. stunt guys work all over the world and know about productions in advance. If you open a line of communication with one up it could lead to future work for you.

If you dont you could hear the words "you will never work again".

yes I am trying to frighten you. this is really dangerous. think how bad you would feel if the talent got hurt.

Ask for the wide would a manequin work? and all the closeups could be faked on an applebox. look for other solutions. greenscreen? aftereffects out an apple box?

dont be a hero.

• Premium Member

I forgot in my post to mention how I did something very similar in school. We tied the person's wrists and pulled the ropes enough that they looked tight while the person stood on an applebox painted chromekey green. We shot a clean plate without person, ropes or box then shot it with all of those without moving the camera. Thereafter we just never saw the full body of the person again and it sold the trick wonderfully.

• Premium Member

I feel I should add that the ropes were taped to look tight and, should the actor have fallen, ould ahve pulled free easily. They weren't actually tied to anything.

Edited by Chris Keth