Shooting music vid with V1

Jacqueline Donaldson

Hi,

I'm shooting a music video soon and I want to create that slightly slow feeling- not full slomo like 50% slower, but just noticeble - I'm planning on shooting at normal speed with faster playback, lipsync and slowing in post - does anyone know how fast we should playback the music to create this effect? Were testing but would like alternate opinions on what has worked for you. Also should I be using a higher shutter speed if I'm going to slow down in post - all our shots are left to right tracking shots - I just read something about this?

Thanks,

Jac...

I've managed to shoot some tests all on my own, at this moment I am DP, singer , cam operator, playback and editor! LOL!! Anyway, it seems like a good combination is playing back at 150% and then bringing that back down to norm in post and slowing the video to 66.65% - it syncs well and looks good - It may just be a little on the slow side for us - I think we may want a little faster - can anyone suggest another combination of playback and vid speed that would be a little faster - I also tried the playback at 133% and reduced vid in post to 75% - wierd, i expected it to be around 66%, but it wouldn't sync at that. Is that to do with shooting on vid and it being 29.97 fps rather then 30fps.

JAc

I've managed to shoot some tests all on my own, at this moment I am DP, singer , cam operator, playback and editor! LOL!! Anyway, it seems like a good combination is playing back at 150% and then bringing that back down to norm in post and slowing the video to 66.65% - it syncs well and looks good - It may just be a little on the slow side for us - I think we may want a little faster - can anyone suggest another combination of playback and vid speed that would be a little faster - I also tried the playback at 133% and reduced vid in post to 75% - wierd, i expected it to be around 66%, but it wouldn't sync at that. Is that to do with shooting on vid and it being 29.97 fps rather then 30fps.

JAc

Not sure if the V1 is an interlaced camera but if it is then you could deinterlace the 60 seperate fields into 60 seperate frames perhaps and simultaneously get video at half the speed and deinterlace the video at the same time. That way you don't even waste any of the information the camera recorded.

love

Freya

You can shoot 30fps and slow it to 24fps in post. That will give you subtle slow mo. I've done it. It looks cool.

You will have to prepare the soundtrack beforehand. It will need to be slowed down using the same percentage as your shooting rate. Take into account the NTSC slowdown as well, if you want perfect sync over several minutes.