cheap telecine houses in europe

Richardson Leao

Dear all,

I have around 400m of neg (16mm) that needs to be transferred and I recently moved to stockholm. I check the prices to telecine it here and they border the absurd (when compared for example with australia). Anyway, I was wondering if somebody could suggest me a telecine house that does the job without forcing me to prostitute myself. Many thanks!

PS: I presume I would have to go for the UK or Germany as they are bigger centres.

400 meters or 400 minutes?

I would call the UK labs, since it seems that they're more willing to do rates by the foot instead of by telecine time. Some of them are in-house; others sourced out. Exclusive TK houses are great for doing supervised work like commercials and promos, but not very practical for budget-minded filmmakers, I've found.

400 meters or 400 minutes?

I would call the UK labs, since it seems that they're more willing to do rates by the foot instead of by telecine time. Some of them are in-house; others sourced out. Exclusive TK houses are great for doing supervised work like commercials and promos, but not very practical for budget-minded filmmakers, I've found.

I'm guessing it must be minutes as I don't think Australia is metric?

400 metres, would that be about 800foot?

Theres an old Rank at the BBC in London which is about £180 per hour

Theres actually an old Bosch FDL-60 still alive in Norway which is probably the cheap telecine option in scandinavia. http://www.smalfilm.no/en Very cheap prices if I remember right.

Depends how low you want to go. Scandinavia seems to have largely gone completely digital.

You could of course ship your film out to the states for Telecine.

love

Freya

I'm just throwing in my 2 cents here, but I think when looking for a telecine house, you shouldn't include the word "cheap".

If you want a cheap telecine, you'll get a cheap image. "Inexpensive" or "Reasonably Priced" would be the best choice of words ;)

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

Aust. is metric. 400 metres. Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions! Still searching!

I'm guessing it must be minutes as I don't think Australia is metric?

400 metres, would that be about 800foot?

Theres an old Rank at the BBC in London which is about £180 per hour

Theres actually an old Bosch FDL-60 still alive in Norway which is probably the cheap telecine option in scandinavia. http://www.smalfilm.no/en Very cheap prices if I remember right.

Depends how low you want to go. Scandinavia seems to have largely gone completely digital.

You could of course ship your film out to the states for Telecine.

love

Freya

I have around 400m of neg (16mm)

that would be around 34 minutes, if you didn´t know already. but as far as i know the houses in germany charge in meters.

these are the four labs in berlin:

geyer-werke +49 3068010

schwarz film +49 3088708500

media city lab +49 306289280

kopierwerk babelsberg +49 3317212402

and three postproduction houses:

das werk +49 3028527950

vcc +49 302020960

condor +49 3020451980

they are all able to scan your negative or whatever, just give them a call. you can always try to negotiate. i never dealt with them in that way but i´m pretty sure not everyone is paying the list price. but there is also a lot of filming going on here right now so i´m not sure if they will go down with the price...

good luck

--------------------

gregor grieshaber

2nd assistant camera

berlin, germany

Edited by Gregor Grieshaber