"Across the Universe"

I was shooting on both Saturday & Sunday, this past weekend, but thankfully they were both short days and I was able to get out and see a flick one of those nights.

My wife was set on seeing "Across the Universe", which I'll admit I had my doubts about. I had a fear that it was going to be extremely cheesy, using only Beatles songs and not really achieving any kind of incorporation into the context of the plot.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The film was wildly imaginative, although some effects were subpar, they still worked and I think the director Taymor came out with a real and groundbreaking achievement in modern filmmaking.

When you go see it, just be aware that there is "West Side Story" type dancing going on in some parts that may seem a bit cheesy, but it's OK to laugh because there really are some funny points in the film that keep it light, despite how insane and intense it gets.

Delbonnel's cinematography was gorgeous, and you know he really went to town on it and really got to play with his lighting.

If you're not able to stand the cheesiness of a musical, or if you find it too weird to hear so many Beatles songs being sung by other people, it's worth it just to sit through for the visuals.

• 4 months later...
Awesome. I've been waiting for this one for a while too. Im not huge into musicals but this one looks really cool.

I just saw it on dvd, what a fun film to watch, superb cinematography and of course, the beatles!

I think this film was overlooked by hollywood if you don't mind me saying.

I'm surprised not that many comments here.

Francisco

• 1 month later...

I can't say that I've enjoyed the film very much (some weird direction ideas work very well, others don't), but Bruno Delbonnel's cinematography is very good. Good scope compositions and camera moves, distinctive looks to the American & English period scenes and very nice colored lighting here and there to make the musical numbers look very glossy. And the Blu-ray version looks amazing.

I don't recall if it was covered by AC, does anyone remember it? Any info on film stocks and lenses would be appreciated. I noticed some different bokehs through the film (S4s and maybe Ultra Primes), but I'd like to know the reasoning behind it, if there's one.

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

As for lenses, I seem to recall it was an anamorphic shoot, so no S4s or Ultra Primes...

But, yes, certainly a nice movie, some very nice production design (and I happen to have a soft spot for eddie izzard, so "being for the benefit of mr. kite" made the whole film worth my while.) Though, I have to admit.. I was let down with alot of the FX shots (such a the car driving to NYC which looks like very poorly done CGI even when down-ressed to my SDDVD and 19" tv in my room).

Oh well.