16mm Camera choice advice

Tom Fitzsimmons

Greetings,

I'm interested in purchasing a 16/S16 camera, and have been trying to make a decision based on comparisons from my novice point of view. What experienced advice can someone give me on making a good decision? Requirements - synch sound, relatively easy to convert to S16, relatively low cost ($2K to $5K), and most important - great images (lens capability).

I've been looking at Arri SR1, Eclair NPR, Bolex (for MOS), Arri BL, Arri S, Beaulieu, etc.

I'm considering renting a couple first but , but eventually want my own to use extensively, if I find it's sensible to do so. I've only shot film on regular 8 (eons ago), and currently use DVX-100 DV for certain applications - workshops, mini-documentaries, etc., but want to get into shooting 16 and/or S16 for image quality and experience. I have an R&D company and am using animation, video, and hopefully film, more and more in our research coverage, but I'm inexperienced in 16mm.

Thanks - Tom (new guy) :blink:

• Premium Member

George,

Great to hear you say that. With tons of help from Mitch Gross, we finally got an Arri SR1. Took about six months of looking and talking to lots of folks, selling off my motorcycle and a bunch of camera gear, but we are very excited about it. Having used a Bolex in the past, we are looking forward to the increase in quality.

-Tim

The toughest part of your request is the price range, just $2k-$5k. That's not a lot for a S-16 camera or even a good camera to later convert to S-16. Especially important to note is that a good zoom lens or set of primes that works for S-16 can eat all or most of this cost. So for this budget you're really talking about getting 16mm equipment and then in the future spending at least as much again to upgrade the camera and purchase new glass.

For this budget range I'd suggest the Eclair ACL. Try to get the ACL-2 version which is a bit more heavy duty. Also try to get the HD motor that can run up to 75fps. There were 200' and 400' mags made for this camera, and you'll be a lot better off with the 400' mags, but there supposedly is a difference in the ones manufactured in England v. France.

There are a few companies that sell, service and accessorize the Eclair ACL. Optical Electro House in Burbank is an excellent one. Visual Products also does great work. The Movie House in the UK and Les Boscher also in the UK all do great work. They all can convert the camera to S-16, change the lens mount and do other mods. The features vary between these custom jobs, so you should investigate all before making any choices. Les Boscher does particularly interesting work in my book.

If you had more money to spend I'd reccomend an Arri SR or an Aaton LTR, but that would set you back about twice what you're willing to spend at the moment.

Greetings Tom,

Would just like to add the following to the excellent reply previously given.

Before you make up your mind make a list of gear and accessories that you will need and most important of all that are plenty therefore easy and cheap to obtain. Some gear is not expensive at the base but becomes difficult to expand, adapt and upgrade.

By this I mean if upgrading one particular make of camera to S16 or changing to a PL mount is going to cost you an arm and a leg, maybe thinking about another make is not a bad idea.

The option of adding at a later stage a video tap etc... is to be taken into account if you are thinking serious projects.

Regards

Emmanuel from Munich

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the input. Turns I'm getting an Eclair NPR. Cheap and in good condition. Not quite an Arri SR, but not the relatively high price either. It will be good bang for the buck for my learning curve. I'll shoot regular 16 for a while and I'm checking out conversion prices to S16 with a local shop Optical-Electro (thanks to Mitch Gross in another post) in Culver City, CA. So the journey begins, I'll let you what I find out.

Tom

Tom--

Optical-Electro is great, but check out Les Bosher as well. His websiter shows some of what he does and all his work is top notch. Also, even now you should consider getting a set of frontrods from JBK Cinequipt. These will allow you to use modern accessories such as a followfocus and mattebox. As far as I know JBK is the only place that manufactures these rods (although Optical-Electro may carry them).