The Sophomore

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

"Assassination of a High School President"

I was working for Fuse TV during the Sundace Festival last week and we interviewed Brett Simon, Mischa Barton and Reece Thompson. I was operating a camera for them during the interviews and I was thrilled to hear Brett, Mischa and Reece talk about the film. It was great to hear first hand about the film, as well as through your journals throughout production.

Congratulations for your success with the film, David. I look forward to seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

David: Flipping through the channels, wooke up very early this morning and, low-and-behond it was playing on Starzz HD.

I only saw part of it, tried to record it as I fell back asleep, and the damned thing only got 58 minutes.

But, not sucking up or brownnosing as seems to be the rule, inflaqting my6 impression in the least bit, it was absolutely F___ing beautifully photographed.

It is a real crime this wasn't released theatrically. You really shine here. IDK how much of the look was your own idea, how much the rest of production, but you absolutely pulled offr a moody, ztylized lighting that was so good I watched the movie like a total novice it was so well done it made it real for me, like I was there, or I wanted to be there.

If this had been on the big screen, it would have should have gotten a cinematogrpahy nomination, if not winning it. But of course, subject matter and the cinematography award being given out like a consolation prize (even to an extent with "Inception" such movies like this get relegated to a 5:00AM time slot here. Go figure.

Regardless of the outcome of this movie, and what I assume was a brilliant Starz executive's idea to frame it 1.85:1 (wasn't widescreen supposed to get rid of this SH__?), I would have been honored to work on a movie with this level of incredible production value and visual artistry.

This is up there with some of my favorites like "Little Princess" A real shame that there aren't any 35mm trailers of it I can snag. . .

• Premium Member

Thanks! I guess once Yari Productions filed for bankruptcy, throwing this movie out later onto the market, it was picked up as more or less a video title and the notion of releasing it in 2.40 was only saved for the DVD, the Blu-Ray I got was full-frame 16x9. Luckily I shot it in 16x9 3-perf 35mm and framed for near common top extraction, and protected the full negative, so it doesn't look misframed in 16x9, just less interesting than the 2.40 frame.

I'll let you know if I see it again, but it looks like it is nowhere on the rest of the Starz schedule I can see!

Unbelievable. And, of course, my DVR ran out of recording space right before the climax of all the action.

You say you ahve a Bluray, was there a general release? I may just buy it. Don't want to wait another 6 mos. before it shows up on Starz again. . . :ph34r:

Will be sure to send an angry letter to Starz and the distributor for messing with your composition to fill up idiots 16:9 screens.