optar illuminas..any opinions?

kevin jackman

• Premium Member

This has been covered on here a few times. Search for posts.

Seems like most guys say they compare to Zeiss SSpeeds easily. Do basic web searchs for specs. and you'll see they were, until recently, the only S16 lenses out there.

• 7 months later...

What about the older Optar lenses? Like the Optar 8mm T1.5?

Those are supposedly from a different factory, and dont look anything like the Illuminas. Yet are also Super16 lenses, yes?

Are they as good? Nearly as good?

They dont have gears on them, and they are slower, so they might be a completely different glass/coating recipe then the Illuminas and therefore far less desirable.

I am thinking of getting that 8mm, since the price is low. But, can someone please advise?

Thank you.

For what its worth I've shot with 3 sets of these lenses. The first two were somewhat soft and could not handle flares at all. Even a bright window with no direct light coming through looked terrible. Then the 3rd set looked amazing. Id easily compare them to superspeeds. Id shoot tests and check the coating.

• 2 weeks later...
For what its worth I've shot with 3 sets of these lenses. The first two were somewhat soft and could not handle flares at all. Even a bright window with no direct light coming through looked terrible. Then the 3rd set looked amazing. Id easily compare them to superspeeds. Id shoot tests and check the coating.

You are speaking of the newer Illumina's, yes?