Recording Sound in Small Noisy Environment

I am going to be shooting a short in the next few weeks in Taiwan. The main set of the film is inside what is known as a "betel nut stand", a small nut that is chewed something a kin to chewing tobacco. Two actors will be talking inside the stand for the majority of the film. Taiwan is a noisy places and there are a lot of cars going by.

Any suggestions on what type of mics/ sound setup would be recommended for this type of situation. Many thanks.

• Premium Member

I'm in no way an expert but from what I have experienced, perhaps the best way to get clean dialogue would be Lavs. Try to hide them on the actors, and use the wireless variety so they can more around without wires sticking out from them, if possible.

Elsewise, get yourself a good shotgun mic and try your best to stage the boom op facing away from any streets etc to try to record better sound.

• Premium Member

wireless lavs sound good.

If you are using XLR cabling one way to help reduce picking up unwanted radio frequencies is to "hide" the receiver as close as possible to the transmitting lavalier. I heard that in Japan they actually boom the receiver to keep it as close to the transmitter as possible. So you could end up running an XLR line from the camera to the receiver rather than simply mounting the wireless receiver to the camera.

And don't forget your padded and unpadded headphones.

wireless lavs sound good.

If you are using XLR cabling one way to help reduce picking up unwanted radio frequencies is to "hide" the receiver as close as possible to the transmitting lavalier. I heard that in Japan they actually boom the receiver to keep it as close to the transmitter as possible. So you could end up running an XLR line from the camera to the receiver rather than simply mounting the wireless receiver to the camera.

And don't forget your padded and unpadded headphones.

That's a great tip, the whole idea of sneaking the receiver in close. Thanks, Alessandro.