London Meeting

Guest Stephen Murphy

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
...Big clock?

Big clock a joke ,you know like meeting under the clock at a railway station on a blind date.

I think that dates various forum members into those who know "Brief Encounter" and those who are to young to know Carnforth station... ;)

I think that dates various forum members into those who know "Brief Encounter" and those who are too young to know Carnforth station... ;)

I'm too young to know Carnforth station but I do have a DVD of Brief Encounter! The David Lean film right? I havn't actually watched it yet of course.

Unless I've got it wrong and you mean the Steven Speilberg film?

I knew it had to be a film referance.

These things don't happen in real life!

love

Freya

• Premium Member
I'm too young to know Carnforth station but I do have a DVD of Brief Encounter! The David Lean film right? I havn't actually watched it yet of course.

Yepp, I do mean the 1945 B&W David Lean theatrical piece. Watch it, and you get Carnforth Station and John Holland's joke in one DVD. Not even Tesco could beat that offer!

Unless I've got it wrong and you mean the Steven Speilberg film?

?! You mean "Close Encounter"? That would be "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"... naah, there aren't any blind dates in that... at least conventional ones... although: sometimes, I gather from what I hear, real-world blind dates can pretty rapidly decend into a close encounter of the third kind... ;)

Gosh, Freya, thanks to you, I now have a real craving for watching "Close Encounters" again. Havn't seen the film in ages!!

I knew it had to be a film referance.

These things don't happen in real life!

Well, having watched the great Jeff Goldblum yesterday on J.R.'s show, I think alot of things can happen despite many people thinking it wouldn't be so in real life...

Ah, you can add the entire Jeff Goldblum back-catalogue to my craving for watching "Close Encounters"...

?! You mean "Close Encounter"? That would be "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"... naah, there aren't any blind dates in that... at least conventional ones... although: sometimes, I gather from what I hear, real-world blind dates can pretty rapidly decend into a close encounter of the third kind... ;)

Brief Enconters of the third kind. Hmm maybe you could combine the two, a human and an alien meet on galactic transport and things get squishy, or something.

Do people actually have blind dates in real life? Isn't that just a tv thing?

Well, having watched the great Jeff Goldblum yesterday on J.R.'s show, I think alot of things can happen despite many people thinking it wouldn't be so in real life...

Ah, you can add the entire Jeff Goldblum back-catalogue to my craving for watching "Close Encounters"...

Was he in anything other than the fly then?

What is J.R.'s show and what did he do on it?

love

Freya

• Premium Member
Brief Enconters of the third kind. Hmm maybe you could combine the two, a human and an alien meet on galactic transport and things get squishy, or something.

Hmm... I think that screenplay is already gone... I think the film was called "Alien"...

Or was it "Lost in Translation"? ;)

Do people actually have blind dates in real life? Isn't that just a tv thing?

I think it's real life... :unsure: . After all, humans apparently also go on Speed Dating sessions, and even a female friend of mine got lucky via internet blind date sites... which really astonished me...

What is J.R.'s show and what did he do on it?

love

Oh, loads of stuff, as discussed in the interview he gave to Jonathan Ross yesterday. He is currently at the Old Vic on stage. Most recent filmwork was of course for "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" (the best Cousteau film not made by Cousteau) and "Raines", which was unfortunately not as successful as I thought it would be. But then again, watching Goldblum was always something of an acquired taste: like Apple Macs, British cars, Champagne Rosé, not flying to Thailand for a holiday, or playing the Cello...

So is there going to be any kind of a plan like people meeting somewhere first or something?

I'm maybe detecting a lack of enthusiasm for the whole idea?

It seems like a good idea in theory but then of course...

love

Freya

love

Freya

Oh good god!

Independence Day

Jurassic Park

Silverado

Buckaroo Banzai

Into the Night

Augie Rose

The Big Chill

Earth Girls are Easy

Hideaway

Powder

One of the Hollywood Ten

Igby Goes Down

Man of the Year

and those are just to ones I can think of off the top of my head. :blink:

How about we meet at say the Sony stand at 13.00 . Then go find a pub have a few beers loads of whinging then back in to the exhibition and then upset a load of reps !!

Ooops! I just this second (literally) started to cancel things. I'll see if I can do a last minute turn around thing. I do a lot of those.

1 pm, Sony Stand, Thursday!

I'm not sure I'm so great with common sense and might be somewhat silly myself I'm afraid, but I can do annoying reps I think! :)

Also does anyone here have a HV20?

love

Freya