The 200ft Mags

Jon Petro

I read on commiecam that the 200 ft mags for the Konvas can't actually hold 2oo ft of film. More like 180 ft.

Is really true? Does anyone have any experience with these mags, and how much you can load into it.

I suppose I will only use 400 ft mags. Will a 400 ft. mag work smoothly even with only 200 ft. short end in it?

Thanks,

Jon

Yes because Kodak cores are larger than the Russian cores that were available during the Soviet era. ALSO you can't USE Kodak cores with the 200ft. mags BECAUSE the center hole is ALSO bigger than the mag's spindle, SO you can't load Kodak film unless you but the Kodak film onto an original soviet film core OR UNLESS you have an adapter for the Kodak reel. Now Rafcamera.com HAS just such an adapter, they're about $25 bucks each but they DO work. Welcome to the world of Commiecams. They are terrific little cameras but they DO have their quirks. In MY opinion, it's well worth the trade off. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Yes because Kodak cores are larger than the Russian cores that were available during the Soviet era. ALSO you can't USE Kodak cores with the 200ft. mags BECAUSE the center hole is ALSO bigger than the mag's spindle, SO you can't load Kodak film unless you but the Kodak film onto an original soviet film core OR UNLESS you have an adapter for the Kodak reel. Now Rafcamera.com HAS just such an adapter, they're about $25 bucks each but they DO work. Welcome to the world of Commiecams. They are terrific little cameras but they DO have their quirks. In MY opinion, it's well worth the trade off. B)

Are the core adapters needed for the 400 ft mags as well?

thanks,

Jon

Yes because Kodak cores are larger than the Russian cores that were available during the Soviet era.

Very old Arriflex 200' magazines used one inch cores.

I think 100' loads of 35mm still film are on one inch cores, I recall that 100' on a two inch core wouldn't fit my bulk loader.

Debries used odd size cores.

It's not just an EastvsWest, RomevsParthia thing.

Make yourself a cardboard or plastic disk the same size as 50 meters (~ 150 ft) of film on a Kodak core.

If you have a horizontal rewind, so can break down larger rolls of raw stock into small rolls for the smaller Konvas mags. (But remember to wind the roll to the end before rewinding/cutting it up, otherwise the KeyCode will be on the wrong side.)

I like them for handholding, often have a second Konvas available with a compact lens and a small mag if the director decides to handhold a shot. Shooting in cars is also better with 200ft. mags. "Short ends" are a cheap way to load the 200ft. mags, just swap them for the always occuring last sunset shot or to have a short length of different speed film stock.

All gear parts and film gate are identical to large mags, so you can use the 200ft. mags for spare parts if any of your large mags gives you mechanical trouble.

My 200' mags came with adapters that are still to small for Kodak cores.

When shooting short ends I use camera tape wrapped around the 200' core adapters, It's crude but it works.

Anyway it's a quick fix on the cheap. Just make sure you remove the core adapters before sending to the lab.

Toby