Shooting anamorphic abroad

Jarin Blaschke

I'm based in New York and recently landed a short film to be directed by an American and shot in Romania. All my crew will be hired locally in Bucharest. I want to shoot it anamorphically, but am not sure how to best get the lenses there.

I don't want it too clean, and want to retain a classic anamorphic look. I'll probably be shooting '93 and '79 and although good glass is important I don't think an absolutely hard, pristine sharp image is needed (not like a Primo).

Does anyone know how to obtain anamorphic lenses in Eastern Europe? Which ones and from where?

One option is to check out the lenses here in NY and take them with me along with an anamorphic viewfinder. Are the Elites from handheld the only anamorphics available in New York? How good are the Elites - how do they compare with what Panavision has to offer?

I prefer Panavision for 35mm work, but the nearest location would be in Prague. I wonder about the upkeep of the equipment out there, not to mention a Romanian AC's familiarity with the Panavision system. What sort of costs could I anticipate, shipping a set of Es or Cs all the way from Woodland Hills?(Panavision New York doesn't usually have any around)

Thanks. Any stories or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jarin

I can't speak for Romania, but since Croatia is kind of in the same part of the world I feel obligated to say at least a few words. Romania is east from Hungary,

and Croatia is south from Hungary. I suspect you could find similar conditions over there. Here in Croatia everyone uses Arri systems, and there have been some recent anamorphic films in our cinematography even though spherical photography has allways been the usual format. So unless the conditions in Romania are worse, you should have no problem finding anamorphic lenses.

• Premium Member

Talk to Hawk in Germany - stuff get sent across europe all the time and they are a nice company, I've heard (the owner Peter Martin regularly posts here) with lots and lots of nice lenses. You can also find anamorphic lenses in Prague. Or Munich. Or London. Or Paris. No problems.

Panavision I think have a presence in Prague, but generally Europe is Arri-land. There's this notion, I find, that anamorphic is "impossible" to shoot on anything else but Panavision, which of course isn't true. There's a wide range of lenses available.

• Premium Member

Actually you won't find anamorphic lenses in Munich. At least not yet :-)

Of all the options Adam listed, Vantage Film should be able to give you the best deal. They not only have the most lenses availble, but also rental in Germany is less expensive than France or the UK for instance.

Arri Munich should still have the original UltraScope primes, very good anamorphic lenses with the vintage look that you mentioned. Avoid the UltraScope zoom lens (if it still is available, it doesn't compare in terms of quality.

But IIRC, those UltraScopes were in Arri Standard or bayonet mount, not in PL as common today. Talk to the nice guys at Munich.

@audiris: Some years ago Arri Munich had the late 1980s ArriScope lenses in the rental lists, do you mean to say they are not longer available?

Hawk lenses will give a more polished look, they are extremely good. Look here:

Vantage Homepage

Dear Jarin Blaschke,

Our rental department would be happy to help you. They are shipping to Romania and they have some old Ultra Scopes as well. The anamorphic version of the Canon K35 Zoom 25-125mm/T2.8 is a lens you should think about. Finally if you want to shoot with Hawks - here you can get the full range!

Contact Andreas or Marion - www.vantagefilm.com

Peter Martin

Hawk Lens Design

Vantage Film

• Premium Member

I think all the Arriscopes have been sold to India. Arri Munich doesn't carry them in their rental catalogue anymore. When I was there a year ago, they had an old 40mm Arriscope lying around. It certainly wasn't getting used anymore.

There is talk of them getting new Elite anamorphics, but I haven't heard of a concrete date yet. If you would like to know more, best phone up Manfred Jahn in Munich.

• Premium Member

There are no Elites yet available in that region. If you absolutely want to use them, talk to Arri Rental in Munich, they might be able to help.

You can check the specs for the Hawks on the Vantage Film website. They have quite an impressive range, from 25mm to 250mm. Very nice lenses.

Chandra M.Mouli

Dir.of Photography

I shot a feature film ( 35mm anamorphic) in Romania last month, No chance of getting anamorphic lenses in Romania,even if you get in east europe without knowing the condition of lenses is like blind date.

Better rent set of HAWK lenses,ground glass (anamorphic markings)and eye-piece from US; ARRI 535B camera (PL-mount) is available in Bucharest if you book in advance.

I guess CSC NewYork carries Hawk lenes.

You can't even expect dust off ,make sure to carry & local AC check the gate every shot.They don't practice that.

I got good deal from Panavision (London)Ltd, Panaflex platinium camera with set of panavision primo anamorphic lenses package, try there.

Not many Romanian AC's familiarity with the Panavision system, I trained one local guy on panavision, his name is christie of CASTEL STUDIOS.My local gaffer was Stefen is also from castele studios.they were good.

PARAFILMS provided us with the local crew and production services.

Good luck with Romania shoot .