Who does Techniscope transfers?

Zachary Vex

Pixel Farm here in Minneapolis tells me that they can scan 2-perf, but that's expensive and slow... Are there options for 2-perf transfering out there, or will I have to do an inexpensive full-frame 35mm transfer to see what I want to have scanned (and deal with having two half-frames on the screen?)

• Premium Member
Pixel Farm here in Minneapolis tells me that they can scan 2-perf, but that's expensive and slow... Are there options for 2-perf transfering out there, or will I have to do an inexpensive full-frame 35mm transfer to see what I want to have scanned (and deal with having two half-frames on the screen?)

Depends on what you need for post, and what quality level do you want to see and how you want to see it. If you want to see a 2K scan projected in a D.I. suite, then you need to scan it at 2K. If you want to see it in 1080P HD, then you need to do an HD transfer, probably on a Spirit. If you need to see it in NTSC, then you would probably transfer it on a Spirit but record it only to NTSC tape.

• Site Sponsor
Are there options for 2-perf transfering out there, or will I have to do an inexpensive full-frame 35mm transfer to see what I want to have scanned (and deal with having two half-frames on the screen?)

Any "modern" telecine from Cintel or Thompson and maybe Sony (includes Mk3, Ursa, Millenium, DSX, etc. Cintel's with metaspeed or Shadow, Spirit Hd, 2K, 4K, not sure about Vialta) can transfer techniscope to SD or HD for SD transfers with keycode you will need to be using a newer Aaton or Everetz keycode reader which understands 2-perf.

-Rob-