Panaflex pressure plate

Annie Wengenroth

Okay this is my nerdy question of the week. Is it true that the registration of a Panaflex camera is so solid, that even if you ran it without the pressure plate, the film would most likely stay in place and still be usable? That seems pretty unlikely given the way a film camera works. I mean, flange focal depth ain't nothing to mess around with. Has anyone ever done this, whether by accident or as some geeky experiment? I'm just wondering...trying to separate myth from truth I guess.

• Premium Member

Well, I'll start by saying that I've never tried it on purpose or by accident. The way a panaflex movement works I bet there's a slim chance all would be fine. The loop of film would have the tendency to push the film toward the lens with a bit of a spring action and the pulldown claw would push it toward the lens every stroke as well.

All of that speculation out of the way, I wouldn't want to try it while I'm getting paid.;)

On other fronts, how is your move (or prospective move...whatever) to LA looking?

Hey,

It's...going. Trying to keep making some money while I'm still here in NYC and working on The Apprentice, fun times. Between one thing and another I'm actually eyeing a job at Panavision Woodland Hills once I get out there. Since I do not have enough days here to get on the Local 600 California experience roster, it might be a little while before I can work union out there (hooray for red tape! :P ). And while it's steady money, I'm not so keen on getting sucked into the reality show world. So I'm kinda thinking it might be a good idea to start out at a rental house again. But, who knows. I'll keep you posted!

• Premium Member
................here to get on the Local 600 California experience roster, it might be a little while before I can work union out there (hooray for red tape!

I've got the feeling that national IA has their head up a certain part of their anatomy, there's some things going on in the local here that are pretty sick.

My dad was a UAW local president, he'd have been kicking fanny and taking names at some of the cr*p IA seems to be capable of.

I've got the feeling that national IA has their head up a certain part of their anatomy, there's some things going on in the local here that are pretty sick.

My dad was a UAW local president, he'd have been kicking fanny and taking names at some of the cr*p IA seems to be capable of.

Yeah, who knows. Some of the politics are a little illogical, but I'll do what I have to do and keep playing the game.

• Premium Member
Yeah, who knows. Some of the politics are a little illogical, but I'll do what I have to do and keep playing the game.

My favorite IA stagehand here has about the same attitude: Keep your head down and don't unnecessarily ruffle feathers.

On the subject of Local 600, have you had a chance to work with Doug Hart? What's he like on-set?

• 4 months later...
Hi,

Registration will be perfect, however the film will run behind where it should (FFD will be long). If you are using fast & wide lenses you will have focus issues.

Stephen

Quite right. I was on a 65mm shoot and the 1st forgot to put the plate in once and the footage was still useable. But then again the fastest lens was f2.8 which I'm sure helped. lol

• Premium Member

"IA" is short for IATSE which stands for International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (alternately "I Always Take Something Easy"). Local 600 is the merged nationwide (USA) camera union within the IA. The California experience roster is a list they keep of people here in CA who work non-union and are hoping to get enough documented work to qualify to get into 600. I think it may be CSATF (Contract Services Administration Trust Fund) that actually keeps the list, rather than the union itself.

I dropped out of 600 years ago, it was a grand a year, and I wasn't working in camera at all. Current members may have better info, if I got any of the above wrong.

-- J.S.

Its to do with stong film unions a thing that still happens in th US unlike here i am afraid , strange that really because Thatcher [the demon witch] followed everything that Ronnie did so we lost our union here but the Americans kept theirs must be made of stonger stuff than the wimps here . Voting for her then the grey man who followed her and then a male ? version of her called Blair . [ end of rant :blink: ]

Its to do with stong film unions a thing that still happens in th US unlike here i am afraid , strange that really because Thatcher [the demon witch] followed everything that Ronnie did so we lost our union here but the Americans kept theirs must be made of stonger stuff than the wimps here . Voting for her then the grey man who followed her and then a male ? version of her called Blair . [ end of rant :blink: ]

Ronnie was once president of SAG, so there might be some vague Mason-like relationship between the two unions or at least a professional courtesy arrangement which didn't exist with the flight controllers union.