The best books on cinematography

Hello cinematographers:

I read this book called "The Five C's of Cinematography" and I like it very much especially because it deals a lot with meaning more than technicalities which I like to read since I don't always have the equipment to get technical.

The fact is that there is a quote on the front from American Cinematographer that says that this book is one of the three most important books on cinematic technique. Anyone knows which are the other two?

Also I am looking for good books that focus on composition, they don't neccesarily have to be cinematography books, they could be photography or just composition in general, a book that helps you to understand the meaning of a composition and it tells you how to create one. "The five c's..." it's very good at this but I feel it lacks illustrations to support all the points it makes.

Thank you very much in advance

Take care, All of You.

Fernando

• Premium Member

I just got hold of a new one:

'New Cinematographers' by Alexander Ballinger.

Lance Accord, Jean-Yves Escoffier, Daruis Khondji, John Mathieson, Seamus McGarvey and Harris Savides talk about their favourite films and how they lit them. Lots of illustrations as well, a very nice book.

• 3 months later...

"A Man with a Camera" by cinematographer Nestor Almendros is nice. He opens with how he got into film and how his theory on film and light develop. The rest of the book is a discussion of the films he worked on and techniques he used. It is OOP now, but is definately work a look if your into naturalism.

"New Cinematographers" and "Masters of Light" are both very good.

If you can read French or bring yourself to read French with a dictionary I recommend "Des Lumieres et des Ombres" by Henri Alekan who was the DP for Renoir and Wenders on "Wings of Desire" among many other films. It is a large book with lots of illustrations and he talks about meaning, spirituality and technique. This book was and still is very important to me and many others in the industry.

I also find that looking at comic books is great for composition. If I may suggest Will Eisner and Frank Miller.

I just got "Reflections: 21 Cinematographers at Work."

Seems like it's pretty good so far lighting charts, photos, illustrations, etc. Expensive as hell though. Looks kinda like it's the same thing as "New Cinematographers," though NC is like 1/3 of the price! Where the hell was this book when I was looking around for stuff?

I think "5 Cs" and "matters of light and depth" helped me the most when I knew nothing, with the angular/camera and lighting aspects of cinematography, respectively. Film lighting seems like a more advanced book, to build on your existent skills.