music video redcam testshooting

Guest Rainer Fritz

Guest Rainer Fritz

Hello Everybody!

We shot last tuesday and wednesday a musicvideo with a young austrian band. That this happened was not luck in the last second, it was more than this...

The man who helped us in the very last minuite was Edwin Verstegen from http://www.hetraam.nl/ . He took a airplane on monday afternoon with his Red #49 and came to vienna and supported us in so much cases... he is a great cinematographer, and for shure a so relaxt and lovely person... thanks a lot on this way.

The camery worked very well on build 8 the hole 16 hour and the hole 7 hour shooting days. At one second I thought all will be over, as in the cf slot some of these golden tiny connector pins were bend. Probably they tried to pull it to hard in. But Edwin solved the problem with a huge amount of concentration and tactfulness.

Everybody was working very hard on this video... thanks to all again here by this way.

So I have now two clips online: (it is only a fast cut from only 10 files not the endversion... just for looking a little bit in the material)

So, I go now for bed to sleep some hours...

thx for comments in advance...

small:

http://redcamservice.eu/vids/musicvideoH264small.mov

bigger

http://redcamservice.eu/vids/musicvideoH264720p.mov

regards rainer

Guest Rainer Fritz
Great looking stuff. I like the frontal perf. close-up and thought the tunnel shot (where the camera pulls away from the lead singer) was quite cool. Thanks for sharing.

Evan W.

thank you evan... next week there will come up a making of and some pictures to see a bit more... at thursday there will be the first version of the final video out...

Rainer, i KNEW you could not resist for long from posting this! :)

Hi, i was gaffing this, btw.

Thanks again to my fabulous Grip and Electrics Crew on this way, at least to sleepy Anna who also happens to be registered here.

Guest Rainer Fritz
Rainer, i KNEW you could not resist for long from posting this! :)

Hi, i was gaffing this, btw.

Thanks again to my fabulous Grip and Electrics Crew on this way, at least to sleepy Anna who also happens to be registered here.

you all did a so great job... everybody will see it in the pictures...

when the final version coming thursday will be ready for publishing, i will post it with a full crew list...

can't wait to see it in the cinema on the big screen and how it will looks when the arri laser did his job.... :)

thanks again...

rainer

• Premium Member

The flare on the bassplayer is gorgeous, that's how a lens should look when shooting straight into bright lights!

On the other hand I find the close-up of the girl singing to be unnaturally smooth and plasticky looking, don't like the feel at all I must admit. It's the usual isuse with digital cameras.

The song is nice too, what are the band called?

EDIT: oh, by the way - what lenses did you use?

As far as i know, we used Zeiss Highspeed glass, as the MasterPrimes the production aimed for were not awailable.

There have also been some back focus problems as far as i know,

but maybe 1st AC Alex P. who also happens to be a forum member might hop in to clear things up.

Guest Rainer Fritz

We had the Red Zoom (18-50) but in case of backfocus problems we didn't used it.

So we had 10,18,25,35,50,85 and 105 Zeiss HS lenses. Not enough budget for the

lovely Master Primes.

The Century 9,5 didn't fit into the pl mount of the red. A known problem, red is

retrofitting a new pl mount design. Mechanical design is not there power....

The Band is called " Herbstrock ".

reg.

Rainer

Hello Everybody. As to Alex Haspels invitation I jump in the thread. ;)

First I have to correct some minor uncertainties :

We had the Red Zoom (18-50) but in case of backfocus problems we didn't used it.

We used it once for the last shot. A extreme close up of a car light, here stop 3,5 didn't mater and it was the lens with the shortest closefocus distance on set.

So we had 10,18,25,35,50,85 and 105 Zeiss HS lenses

the 105 was actually a 100mm lens.... :ph34r:

The other difficulties with the actual state of the REDcam are mainly hardware ones.

The biggest one is for sure the PL mount. First, when fixing the lens, it has no stop, or latch. So you have to close it like a bottle of water, without feeling a "closed" point. Second, it doesn't take up some lenses. Edwin the owner of #49 RED told me, that this is caused by a slightly different shape of the PL-Mount edges. It should be fixed by the retrofit on the PL-mount RED offers.

As Rainer said:

A known problem, red is retrofitting a new pl mount design. Mechanical design is not there power

The other things which could be listed are:

*Wing nuts already look weak

*The handles for handhold use are kind of dangerous. Its just not possible to safely fix them on the "RED handle mount" as the don't lock tight.

*The cable connectors all are "mini" MiniXLR, MiniBNC etc. which makes no sense to me (but RED already announced a breakout box). The adapter cables are even more filigree.

*The power cable should have a L-plug on the camera side. With steadycam it sort of gets into the way of the battery cage. For Steadycam use I'd recommend the battery plate (if you're shooting on CF cards, but we didn't have one).

*The RED has not a single RS connector for remote focus etc.

That much about the hardware "problems", with the camera in it's actual state.

I'll write a list of "pros" tomorrow, but I have to go to bed now....shooting tomorrow...

Greets Alex

Edited by Alexander Püringer

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rainer and crew!

First of all: looks awesome. Did you shoot the tunnel stuff in the newly built U2 underground? What was your kit, Alex, light-wise?

Gruss aus Meidling!

Cheers, Dave

from my memory, so 100percent accuracy can not be promised:

2 Dinos (30kw each), on dimmerboard

2 5kw spacelights

2 4kw hmi pars

2 2,5kw hmi pars

2 2,5kw hmi fresnels

2 1,2kw hmi pars\

2 120cm fourbanks

2 60cm fourbanks

1 divalight eightbank

2 2kw fresnels

2 1kw fresnels

1 dedokit

and about half a ton of 63A, 32A, 16A cable and various other anschlussmaterial

oh, and a cinejib platfom crane and a panther...

and of course the location has not had any kind of elevator yet <_<

luckily we managed to get hold of a winch from the construction workers, otherwise it

would have been hell hauling al the stuff 4 stories down and then up again

greetings from rudolfsheim,

alex

Edited by Alex Haspel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...