Pro Video and Film in Dallas, TX USA

James Baker

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with Pro Video and Film Co., Inc. in Dallas, Texas (www.ProVideoFilm.com). I'm interested in an Eclair they have and also an S16 conversion (which they claim that they can do). I did a search here and on other forums and came up empty. Thanks for any input. (I know there's George right here in Culver City, and other places in LA, but I'd like to know something about these people). Thanks!

• Premium Member

James,

Those kind of questions are really loaded, and difficult for anyone to answer. I can say that folks on this forum are usually pretty generous in saying good things about places they've had positive experiences doing business with. And the other thing is, here in the United States, if you say anything negative about someone's business, even if it's true, they can sue you and if they can show your comments hurt their business, they can win.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with Pro Video and Film Co., Inc. in Dallas, Texas (www.ProVideoFilm.com). I'm interested in an Eclair they have and also an S16 conversion (which they claim that they can do). I did a search here and on other forums and came up empty. Thanks for any input. (I know there's George right here in Culver City, and other places in LA, but I'd like to know something about these people). Thanks!

I've been at his place in Dallas, it's a museum of all sorts of gear. I have the impression that his prices are high but he does seem accurate in how he represents his gear. For instance the set of Cooke Speed Panchros he's got on eBay right now are pretty high in price, but I've personally seen that set and they looked to be in mint condition.

• Premium Member
I've been at his place in Dallas, it's a museum of all sorts of gear. I have the impression that his prices are high but he does seem accurate in how he represents his gear. For instance the set of Cooke Speed Panchros he's got on eBay right now are pretty high in price, but I've personally seen that set and they looked to be in mint condition.

Hi Hal,

He has been on Ebay for years, seldom (if ever) makes a sale.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Hal,

He has been on Ebay for years, seldom (if ever) makes a sale.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

That's certainly been my impression. His warehouse is in one of those small business parks that sprung up all over Dallas in recent years. I wonder if he isn't supporting himself off rich kids who get the urge to make a movie and have no idea just how much is involved. For instance he runs "How to Make Your Movie" classes out of his place. When I was at his place there was some newly developed 5285 strung up in his office that looked like some sort of industrial film. I will grant the exposure looked right on and it had nice color.

James,

Those kind of questions are really loaded, and difficult for anyone to answer. I can say that folks on this forum are usually pretty generous in saying good things about places they've had positive experiences doing business with. And the other thing is, here in the United States, if you say anything negative about someone's business, even if it's true, they can sue you and if they can show your comments hurt their business, they can win.

Best,

-Tim

Tim,

Yes, I believe I understand what you are saying. However, the BBB lists complaints from consumers, critics rate restaurants and films, and the internet is flooded with rating sites. I feel it's pretty common in our society. I just wanted to get a feel for what type of business it is since I know nothing about it and hopefully someone else does.

I found a fantastic Hasselblad repairperson by asking about him on a forum. There was an overwhelming positive response and I disregarded the one or two negative responses. So, if a few people say good things, or describe what sort of establishment the place is, then that's helpful to me. But next time I will try to ask a question in a different way so that it doesn't sound "loaded."

Thanks,

James

• Premium Member

James,

No problem. My response is mostly out of frustration about the screwed up legal system in this country. There are a number of companies that I have had bad experiences with, that I would love to warn people about, but you can't do that on a public forum without opening yourself up to a law suit.

It's total BS.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

I know George at Optical Electro very well. I also know Bernie O'Doherty at http://www.super16inc.com.

My best advise to you is to give these guys a call and tell them what you are looking for. They will be able to find one for you and go through it and get it running perfectly. They will probably get you what you want and save you a lot of money over what you would pay Pro Video Film. :rolleyes:

I know George at Optical Electro very well. I also know Bernie O'Doherty at http://www.super16inc.com.

My best advise to you is to give these guys a call and tell them what you are looking for. They will be able to find one for you and go through it and get it running perfectly. They will probably get you what you want and save you a lot of money over what you would pay Pro Video Film. :rolleyes:

Thanks, John. That was kind of my intuition from the beginning....

There are specifc things I'm looking for, and so I'll be ending up with an Eclair mutt. I certainly am going to see George. I stopped by a few times this past week but the shop was locked up. I need to call him next week and have a visit.

And I've heard great things about Bernie, too.

Thanks again,

James

• Premium Member

I was curious after seeing those eBay ads myself so I tracked down his office on the west side of Dallas in the little business park as well. It was in the middle of the day and noone was there. It's a very small operation and I get the impression it isn't a fulltime thing for him.

Prices are crazy, but I think they are just a starting point for negotiation.

I'd add another plug for Bernie O'Doherty too. Good guy and very talented. Reasonable prices and he won't bullshit you. He talked me out of a couple camera mods that would have made him alot of money but didn't make sense for my situation.

Just a p.s., --John, I stopped in to see George. He wasn't in (he's recovering from a knee operation) but I spoke with his partner(?) repairperson/craftsman. A very nice, knowledgable person and I enjoyed speaking with him. They are going to put together what I'm looking for and, as you said, "get it running perfectly."

It was really comfortable in the shop, like something lost in time. It reminded me of Harry Fleenor's Rolleiflex repair shop in Manhattan Beach.

Thanks,

James