Lighting through gauze/nets ala 'One from the Heart'

Rupe Whiteman

• Premium Member

On the feature I'm currently shooting we've a scene with a kitchen set to be built in a warehouse... two characters talk in the kitchen and then we flashback, in camera, to a scene using the warehouse for real in the background. I remembered the use of net or gauze divides used so well in One From the Heart and wondered if anybody knew more how they did this - was it a type of gauze or net etc?

- I'm imagining a dark net/gauze fake wall lit bit some spotted downlight which can be faded down as the background lights/action fades up... quite theatrical and fun to do...

its an old magician's trick. Lit from the front the scrim is Opaque, light hitting the subject behind the scrim and it becomes translucent. you can use sharkstooth, window screen, and almost any small open weave fabric. It all gets down to that magical transformation moment, dimming up and down on the background subject.

I did this years ago on a local show the set was built with steel tube frames covered in sharkstooth scrim. The set was built in from of a forrest set. when the magic moment happened poof the talent looked out through the walls at the forrest surrounding her. ( I know it sounds kinda dumb but it was a kids show)