music video

Bill Totolo

• Premium Member

The band rented a rehearsal studio for three hours and so I shot a music video for them in two hours and fifty nine minutes.

The challenge was to create some mood and texture without cringing over every stray light. It was a challenge.

I was the DP, Dir, Editor, etc, etc...

gallery-msg-119527136065.jpg

gallery-msg-119527140785.jpg

Tools included (1) HVX200 (std. def) and (1) DVX100

Std. Arri tungsten kit plus mole 2k zip

Approx 20 Rock n Roll pars on dimmers in the truss.

• Premium Member

Thanks I needed that, Michael. I'm so foggy I've lost all perspective.

We wrapped at 1am, fell asleep around 2:30, back up 2 hours later for you-know-who, and back to the grind. Everything pretty much hurt for 24 hours. (Remember how you felt in NY after getting off the plane and working for 2 days straight in 2006?)

I'm only 1/4 the way into it. I think I'm going to get a little more traditional for the midsection and re-introduce the multi-panel thing toward the end... I think.

All those video streams are taking their toll on my poor old laptop. Might be time for an upgrade.

gallery-msg-119527609427.jpg

• Premium Member

I liked a lot of the video, the 'graphic-design' look was nice. Whenever I see video's like this, with alot of post production stuff, especially with regards to reframing/cropping, I always wonder what the approach is in pre-production. Did you first come up with alot of your shots, so when you framed certain shots, you knew, 'ok this will be going into a small square portion of frame,' vs. 'this will be in a wider spaced frame' etc...? Or was it just finding it in editing? I've done a couple music videos and always feel that more pre-production would have been helpful, so I was curious as to how you went about this.

Nice Work.

• Premium Member
I liked a lot of the video, the 'graphic-design' look was nice. Whenever I see video's like this, with alot of post production stuff, especially with regards to reframing/cropping, I always wonder what the approach is in pre-production. Did you first come up with alot of your shots, so when you framed certain shots, you knew, 'ok this will be going into a small square portion of frame,' vs. 'this will be in a wider spaced frame' etc...? Or was it just finding it in editing? I've done a couple music videos and always feel that more pre-production would have been helpful, so I was curious as to how you went about this.

Nice Work.

Thanks for the comment, David.

I suppose a lot was created in post but it was very helpful to photograph the band in rehearsal a week before the shoot. This gave me time to go over my shot-list (so to speak), sketch a couple key images I wanted to grab, and think about the shape of the mattes that might work.

Of course everything sort of morphed as I went along to accomodate the actual material that I had after the shoot.

And I shot everything 4:3 to give me the most material to crop and resize during the edit.

I just got back in town and tweaked the frames and made everything a little more uniform:

gallery-msg-11963171917.jpg