Arriflex 16M film loop

Chris Gravat

Hello again everyone,

So I've been practicing loading and threading my recently purchased 16M. My question is about the top part of the loop in the camera above the gate. it appears that the emulsion might be making contact with the guide rail. I have made a loop with 36 visible perfs, and have made sure that the bottom of the loop does not make contact with anything as the manual describes.

Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

chris gravat

boston, ma

arrim.jpg

Your loop should look something like this. As long as the pin and the claw engage the film correctly, and it doesn't touch the buckletrip, you should be fine. I think if the sides of the film (the perfs) touch the top you should be fine because I think there's like a track or something that keeps the area where the image forms from touching the camera. You can't see the top in this picture, but it's there on the bottom. Threading the Arri M is very simple.

• Premium Member

Chris,

Veronica is spot on as far as the way the film threads, and that is a great picture. If you don't already have a copy of the Arriflex 16M Operating Instruction Manual you can download a free PDF copy of one below:

Arri16S.com Manuals Page

That top corner, above the gate, has the center section relieved so that it will not scratch the image area of the film even if the film touches there. And the top of the gate is relieved, so even if the film comes in at a bit of an angle the gate still won't touch the image area of the film.

You're right, 36 visible perfs is what you should have. If you think the loop is too high, you could lower it by one perf as the lower surface (under the #2 in Veronica's picture) is also relieved in the image area and if the film touches there, it will not scratch the image area.

I really love the 16M camera. It is so simple and works so well, and you don't need that noisy torque motor like with the 16S.

-Tim