HVX ISO RATINGS

Scott Sans

I wanted to know a couple ISO ratings if anyone has done the tests.

- HVX200 24fps

- HVX200 24fps / Redrock with nikon lenses

- HVX200 60fps / Redrock with nikon lenses

i remember the redrock sucking tons of light but I dont remember how much, as i havent used the adapter in a couple years...

thanks

I wanted to know a couple ISO ratings if anyone has done the tests.

i remember the redrock sucking tons of light but I dont remember how much, as i havent used the adapter in a couple years...

I have not worked with the Red Rock but I just finished Steadicam on a short in LA with the HVX and mini35 where the ISO ended up being 80 when we calibrated the Sekonic 758c to it. I don't remember what glass we had but the imagery was gorgeous for a hybrid rig.

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

Las Vegas

• Premium Member

Frame rates are the easy part -- 60fps requires 1-1/3 stop more light than 24fps no matter what kind of lens is in front of it. "Video ISO" is a moving target though. The sensitivity of the camera changes with the light level, and "proper" exposure varies with the gamma and black settings. The camera isn't film, so you can't treat it as such. The best that you can do is measure the behavior of the camera under a certain set of conditions, and expect those measurements to change when the conditions change.

I did the test. I will have frame captures tomorrow. Feel free to print them out, laminate them, and use them for references in preproduction and production.

I rated my ISO at 317.916, but I think it is safe to assume that 320 ASA is close enough. As to the latitude of the HVX200, I will tell you tomorrow. It is roughly 4 stops down and 2-3 stops up, but that also kind of depends on where you feel that the detail is gone.

One thing to be careful of is the zoom. The lens is not a dedicated zoom, therefor the t-stop fluctuates while the f-stop does not. So if you zoom in, you will lose roughly about a half a stop to a full stop. Also, the LCD seems to boost the blue channel noise. I don't know why, but when start seeing that on your viewfinder, that area will probably stay in the black when transfered for editing.

Please let me know if you get different results or do other tests. I hope this helped some folks!

With RR, I found it usually hovers around 80, never much more in either direction with different scene files. Without, it's around 320. Those are good target ISOs if you're just trying to gauge the amount of light you'll need, but they vary depending on the settings you use. Once you have the camera in hand, it takes about a minute to determine the actual ISO with a light meter and a gray card.