Film Brittle In Cold Weather SHooting

Shooting this weekend on 16 250 D on Arri BL. Its going to be cold 42F. Camera is good and I have 3 extra battery belts. I'm just worried that the film will get to brittle while in the camera. I assume if its running and I don't leave just sitting I should be fine. And just to be safe I'm probably going to put a jacket over the mag just to make it a little warmer. If anyone has an other suggestions or can just verify if the film will be ok in this temp. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

• Site Sponsor
Shooting this weekend on 16 250 D on Arri BL. Its going to be cold 42F. Camera is good and I have 3 extra battery belts. I'm just worried that the film will get to brittle while in the camera. I assume if its running and I don't leave just sitting I should be fine. And just to be safe I'm probably going to put a jacket over the mag just to make it a little warmer. If anyone has an other suggestions or can just verify if the film will be ok in this temp. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

I personally have shot in weather that was -15c in an ice storm and from a helicopter in the middle of January with the door off I think with the wind chill it was much colder (100mph + -10f out damn cold) look at the many productions that have been done on everest or the north or south poles, brittleness is not necessarily a problem..

-Rob-

• Premium Member
Shooting this weekend on 16 250 D on Arri BL. Its going to be cold 42F. Camera is good and I have 3 extra battery belts. I'm just worried that the film will get to brittle while in the camera.

above freezing (0C) is by definition NOT cold. Arround -20C you start having to worry! Only thing you may have problems with at a Balmy 42F (5.6C) is the batteries, stick them inside your coat. You probaly should be sure your camera was recently serviced - old lubricants can get sluggish near freeezing.

Look for a copy of Kodak's booklet on "photography under arctic conditions" to see cold weather concerns:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professiona...ubs/c9/c9.jhtml