Smoque filter for Landscape?

Jon Rosenbloom

I'll be shooting some exteriors in Los Angeles next January. Super-16 "capture," post to digi-beta for festival screening. The Director would like to capture that LA smog-bound look, but we're not certain we won't end up w/ a crystal clear January day. My idea is to use something like a Tiffen Smoque 1 and some sort of soft-edge coral. Any thoughts? Waste of time? Good Plan? Thanks for the feedback.

• Premium Member

You can try it, certainly. It would make it seem particularly hazy/foggy that day.

It's not a cure-all because it reacts to whatever is in the shot, so the effect disappears and reappears as bright areas move through the frame. For this reason, I tend to use the lightest grade, the #1.

• Premium Member

Smog in LA is strange... sometimes looking up from underneath it doesn't look that bad, but as you get higher it gets thicker and you start to see it. I notice this when I'm flying in and out quite a bit, there's a certain altitude that looks like you're headed for cancer then when you get above it or below it you don't notice it as much.