The complete Scoopic MS Canibalization

Rolando Fernandez

• Premium Member

Looks impressive, does it work?

If it does it looks like you're ready to shoot a feature. 400ft mag and anamorphic adapter...nice work.

Guessing that you don't have the actual magazine adapter. The adapter has a built in motor and uses another Scoopic battery to power the magazine I think. I have one and I'm looking at it now... never used it. Guess you have to use the external battery to actually power the camera?

im impressed but i pesonally dont see the logic of doing this much work on a camera with a fixed lens but dont get me wrong im impressed.

That fixed lens is pretty good in the middle f-stop range. I've had colorists comment on how sharp it was on some daylight shots; they were amazed to find out it was a Scoopic.

Thanks guys, I know that scoopic has some limitations but I'm a poor guy that can not buy an arriflex,

for me the 72mm , 12.5mm to 75mm zoom and macro ring is good for my short films.

I will post the finals results soon (rank telecine).

I allways count on a famous quote by Albert Einstein "Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them"

I'm willing to accept suggestions...

• Premium Member

Don't knock a Scoopic MS until you've used one... what a great camera! Yes, there are lens limitations but it really is a good lens under the right lighting conditions. Easy to load and a great on-board meter.

I've heard bad things about the original Scoopics but that MS is a champ.

Rolando, I shot some Tri-X today with the Panasonic Anamorphic lens. I did notice it wasn't nearly as sharp as I can get without the adapter, I wonder what it will look like when it's stretched back out in transfer. I manually adjusted the anamorphic lens angle until I can create a rig like yours to keep it straight.

The question will be if using this lens and gaining more film area is worth the loss of sharpness vs. simply cropping the 16mm frame to 16:9. With the new Vision3 stocks out now it might not make that much of a difference.

Another idea to explore would be a Super 16 modification. I know, everyone says it's near impossible but someone on this board swears they did it years ago. Camera techs I've talked to say that it could be $1500 or more to do it so I'm not quite sure a $2000 Scoopic makes sence.

But then the only other S16 cameras with motors that could be easily handheld would be a K3 with a Tobin motor and they are going for $1500 from Du-All (who bought the last few motors.)

Thanks Will, the anamorphic photos I show were taken from a mini DV screen so they are a pretty

bad example to show anamorphic quality , wait until film comes from lab then we can start a good

talking on this "sharpnes issue".

Basicaly the anamorphic experiment is to see if a can get widescreen without transforming to Super16.

I will test diferent stocks and lighting conditions to get a broad conclusion on this.

At the end some hypotesis may be true ,other simply not.

Impressive work, but you still have a camera that is too noisy to shoot dialog scenes with, and is not crystal sync. (I know, I have a Scoopic M).

I bought my CP16R/A with two 400 foot mags, a zoom lens, and a couple batteries for $1600. It's sync sound, almost dead quiet, and I've added tons of extras now, (like CP Ultra Prime lenses) that make it FAR outperform my Scoopic.

Sorry, it's kinda cool.... but not that useful.

MP

• 3 months later...

Hello!

I am looking for a 400 ft Magazin for the Scoopic MS and the adapter to use it. Who knows where I could get it without high costs?

My scoopic MS does not run at the moment. the motor fot filmtransport does not work. Who knows, where I could get it repaired?

Hello!

I am looking for a 400 ft Magazin for the Scoopic MS and the adapter to use it. Who knows where I could get it without high costs?

My scoopic MS does not run at the moment. the motor fot filmtransport does not work. Who knows, where I could get it repaired?

Hi , I use to repair all types of Canon 16 and 8mm. I don't have the adapter at this moment but

making a deep search on inetrnet may work.

I can repair your camera for $200.00 plus shipping back to US.

Rolando Fernandez

rfelectronic@prtc.net

for more information

thanks.

• Premium Member
I can repair your camera for $200.00 plus shipping back to US.

Good price. You should take Rolando up on that. Plus I think he just loves those cameras.

Another alternative is Bernie O'Doherty at Super16Inc.com. He cleaned up my Scoopic MS and did routine maintenance on it for somewhere around $275 I think...