Adding grain

Joshua Dannais

under expose and print up. That always adds a fair bit of grain. On the plus side that will also hold the texture of the snow a bit better. you might also try pushing the stock, but I think careful underexposure will give you the effect your looking for, without the added cost of pushing.

Super 8 was an option... but it would mean finding a super 8 camera and I've heard that processing super 8 is more expensive to transfer or harder to find a place that does it. I own a NPR already so all we need is stock, I like working with 16 as well.

How would grain be added in the transfer?

We're going to shoot some tests next week, I'll try the underexposure.

thanks everyone

• Premium Member

Super 8 processing is actually less than 16mm (makes sense). And transfer of Super 8 is generally the same price on the same Rank machines at 16/35. Problem is finding a telecine with a Super 8 gate... not too many out there.

If you have an NPR and you're comfortable with it, go for it!

If you want lots of grain, try to find some old Vision 800T stock... it gives a whole new meaning to the word "grain."

This might not be an option that you want to use, but if you're going to have it scanned, you can add grain in a number of software programs (aftereffects, Final cut pro, or even Imovie).

Pro- you can control just how much grain you want.

Con- if you're a purist, the grain isn't really coming from the film

T