Canada, Celine Dion, and WWII

Marc Alucard

• Premium Member
That's different, we're trying to defeat Communist China by throwing shove fulls of US dollars at the until they become bonified capitolists

Not true at all. They make cheap crap, and Americans want cheap crap (with lead in it). It's just huge corporations trying to make more money, and they're doing it. Of course, they're probably going to bring the US down in the process....but hey, that's business right!

Learn Chinese now, while it's still early...

Not true at all. They make cheap crap, and Americans want cheap crap (with lead in it). It's just huge corporations trying to make more money, and they're doing it. Of course, they're probably going to bring the US down in the process....but hey, that's business right!

Learn Chinese now, while it's still early...

I hear the Chinese steady-cam school has 500,000 students :(

R,

• Premium Member
14MPG? Jeez, what do you guys do? Spend half your time coasting? I couldn't get 14MPG parked in the driveway with the key off.

Hal (Ford E250 Super Cargo Van w/5.4L Triton V8) Smith

Now what do you say to that then:

Opel Vectra Caravan, built in Germany as well. 120 metric HP, 1.9 CDTI, 34 MPG! And that doing at least 85 mph on the Austrian Autobahn!

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
Now what do you say to that then:

Opel Vectra Caravan, built in Germany as well. 120 metric HP, 1.9 CDTI, 34 MPG! And that doing at least 85 mph on the Austrian Autobahn!

Cheers, Dave

We haven't been able to even get a VW Diesel for the last two model years in the US. VW is promising mid year 2008.

I waiting for the Tata Indica from India to get here. They are priced less than the cost of repair when some drunk backed into the rear of my parked Porsche two weeks ago.

We are just starting to get the Smart FourTwo here. Good TDI cars from Europe that have any performance, and good fuel economy are a pipe dream in the US.

Diesel fuel is priced higher than premium gasoline in Las Vegas.

• Premium Member
And then it blew up! :lol: (juz kidding) <_<

You remember the picture I posted? Look here

Now what's gonna blow up next? BTW did you know that standard gasoline here is 91 octane? Super is 95, Super+ 98, there even is a 100 octane fuel...

Cheers, Dave

Edited by David Auner

• Premium Member
You remember the picture I posted? Look here

Now what's gonna blow up next? BTW did you know that standard gasoline here is 91 octane? Super is 95, Super+ 98, there even is a 100 octane fuel...

Cheers, Dave

Hello Dave,

In the United States, octane is an average of 2 ratings, research octane (RON) and motor octane (MON). If you look at any gas pump in the United States, you will see a yellow sticker that says "octane by R + M / 2" That is the basic

formula for an average. These 2 numbers mean different things. Research Octane number is always higher than Motor Octane number. In Europe, they only report the RON. A lot of people think that in Europe, the octane is

higher. Well, that is not exactly true. You see, in Europe, you might find 96 octane at a local gas station. when the highest sold here is 91 in Las Vegas. Well, that 96 is equivalent to 92 here in the States.

To make it worse most states require 10% of the gas to be ethanol. (Oxygenated Fuel)

All I know is I need to buy 100 octane racing fuel so my 1962 Triumph TR6SS bike won't knock going up hills or have a gummed up caburator if it sits more than a few days.

Cheers,

Marc

• Premium Member

Hi Marc,

thanks for the heads-up! I never noticed that sticker. IIRC when I was in the States the last time (around 2000) 91 octane was the highest grade and 75 (?) was the lowest? I was around rural MI, Lower Peninsula. Would that seem right? Or is my recollection off?

Cheers, Dave

Our current PM, Stephen Harper, is a genius of the highest calibre. If he wants to adopt me I'll go, if he wants me to live in a crawl space under the stairs I'll do it. I love you Stephen Harper. :rolleyes:

Just don't get youself convicted of a capital offense outside of Canada.

• Premium Member
Hi Marc,

thanks for the heads-up! I never noticed that sticker. IIRC when I was in the States the last time (around 2000) 91 octane was the highest grade and 75 (?) was the lowest? I was around rural MI, Lower Peninsula. Would that seem right? Or is my recollection off?

Cheers, Dave

87 Octane is the lowest I have seen posted on the pump here. Without a way to test you pretty much have to take their word for it. I only use 91 Octane in my modern cars and truck because that is what the manufacturer specs.

The ' 33 Ford Hot Rod with the flat head and twin carbs only gets the 100 octane racing fuel.

• Premium Member
Hi Marc,

Cheers, Dave

The three grades sold here in LA are 87, 89, and 91.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
14MPG? Jeez, what do you guys do? Spend half your time coasting? I couldn't get 14MPG parked in the driveway with the key off.

Hal (Ford E250 Super Cargo Van w/5.4L Triton V8) Smith

I once barely broke into double digits on the truck, but it's usually around 8 MPG -- 1985 F-350, 460 V-8 (7.5 liters for the metric folks). It's a long bed dually with a lumber rack and 4.10 rear end. Gear-bound at about 60 - 65 MPH.

But when I don't need that load capacity, it's a 1995 Saturn that routinely gets 28 - 30 MPG in stop and go freeway traffic.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
The three grades sold here in LA are 87, 89, and 91.

Ok, but that might be due to being around an urban area rather than a rural one, maybe? But my memory might be off. Might as well have been the low 80s, I am sure it wasn't 87.

Cheers, Dave