Color Negative Processing

Tim Nuttall

• Premium Member
Are color negative stocks processed in the same bath (mix of chemicals)? Different ones for different stocks? Just wondering...

Thanks.

Same for all motion picture color negative stocks -- ECN2.

Color negative still film doesn't have a remjet anti-halation/static backing to remove though and gets processed in C41. Don't run MP stock though an C41 processor or else you'll gunk it up with all of that remjet (carbon) coming off the film.

So the processing baths are the same for Fugi film as they would be for Kodak, correct or does Fugi film require different chemicals and/or proportions in the baths? There are different baths for color reversal processing but what about print stock? Is that basically the same baths as reversal or is that a whole different animal? (Been studying but still haven't gotten to that yet so wanted to skip ahead a little.) B)

• Premium Member

Fuji and Kodak use the same processing.

ECN2 for MP color negative, which includes remjet removal. Color intermediate also uses ECN2 but doesn't need the remjet removal steps.

ECP2B for MP color print stock.

E6 for reversal films like 5285 Ektachrome 100D and 7280 Ektachrome 64T, Fuji Velvia, etc.

VNF (obsolete) for the old VNF Ektachrome stocks. K14 (obsolete) for Kodachrome.

what about print stock? Is that basically the same baths as reversal
THe process for print stock is similar to that for negative, although it uses a different developer agent (CD3 for neg, CD2 for print).

However, reversal is quite a different process, as it uses two stages of development in order to produce a reversed image. (Basically you develop a silver negative image, then fog the emulsion and develop what's left to a colour image, then bleach away the silver).

Fuji and Kodak use the same processing.

ECN2 for MP color negative, which includes remjet removal. Color intermediate also uses ECN2 but doesn't need the remjet removal steps.

How far back in time was this process applied for negative film? Is the ECN-2 for example valid for Fuji F-64D 8621 from 1998 (which I have in the freezer)? It doesn't say on the can.

Edited by Erik Vilhelm

• Premium Member
How far back in time was this process applied for negative film? Is the ECN-2 for example valid for Fuji F-64D 8621 from 1998 (which I have in the freezer)? It doesn't say on the can.

ECN-2 was introduced in 1974 along with the new 5247 stock. So yes, Fuji 8621 would get processed in it.

THe process for print stock is similar to that for negative, although it uses a different developer agent (CD3 for neg, CD2 for print).

However, reversal is quite a different process, as it uses two stages of development in order to produce a reversed image. (Basically you develop a silver negative image, then fog the emulsion and develop what's left to a colour image, then bleach away the silver).

Thanks for the info Dave and Dom. Dominic, been reading your book Film Technology in Post Production. Terrific read and very informative. I missed out on a copy of Motion Picture Film Processing on Ebay but will pick one up soon. Just wanted to let you know how much I was enjoying it.

ECN-2 was introduced in 1974 along with the new 5247 stock. So yes, Fuji 8621 would get processed in it.

The first Fuji ECN-2 compatible stocks had no rem jet backing. Which is why I was able to spool it into cassettes and get it processed in C-41.

The Fuji literature stated their stock could be processed in ECN-2, but Kodak stock couldn't be processed in their process because of the remjet backing.

I don't know when Fuji started using the remjet backing.