NEW SUPER 8 FOOTAGE

Paul James Savarese

Great short...luv it! Two questions for ya:

1) How come negative Super 8 looks better on some sort on Mp4 formatt? Really the only other max 8 negative film I've seen on dvd is some of the shorts in "Super-8 Cities", and I'm not sure if Rick Palidwor's "Sleep Always" is negative stock, but I have that too.

2) your scope looks like 2.35:1. I thought super 8 could only but cut out to 1.85:1?

1) How come negative Super 8 looks better on some sort on Mp4 formatt? Really the only other max 8 negative film I've seen on dvd is some of the shorts in "Super-8 Cities", and I'm not sure if Rick Palidwor's "Sleep Always" is negative stock, but I have that too.

2) your scope looks like 2.35:1. I thought super 8 could only but cut out to 1.85:1?

Sleep Always was shot on the old discontinued Kodak Ektachrome stock.

I'm sure the image was cropped in post or else shot on an anamorphic lens, but doesn't look like it.

Thanks for the compliment. Two full rolls were ruined at the lab thus resulting in half of a story. The first half...just gone.

1.)The negative stocks are primarily sharper than any reversal films. I am not sure what codec youtube compresses videos with but it generally sux in my opinion. Bottom line is to light like the big boys do and it will look good - to me this means natural for this particular story.

2.) The aspect ratio, orignally, is arguably 16:9 (Max 8). I matted it in a 2.35:1 for to crop a lot of negative space and create a bit more of an interesting composition within the frame. Just a matter of personal preference really.

Thanks for the compliment. Two full rolls were ruined at the lab thus resulting in half of a story. The first half...just gone.

1.)The negative stocks are primarily sharper than any reversal films. I am not sure what codec youtube compresses videos with but it generally sux in my opinion. Bottom line is to light like the big boys do and it will look good - to me this means natural for this particular story.

2.) The aspect ratio, orignally, is arguably 16:9 (Max 8). I matted it in a 2.35:1 for to crop a lot of negative space and create a bit more of an interesting composition within the frame. Just a matter of personal preference really.

Sorry to hear about the lab screwing things up. Are they compensating you in anyway? I will be producing a music video on Super 8 later this year and intend to insure the negative. How are you dealing with it?

chris