LCD vs. Plasma TVs

I don't think there is a TFT in existence with a real contrast ratio beyond 1000:1 - most are a few hundred.

The only exception is the modulating backlight technology, which is very young. I haven't seen it.

ANSI contrast is limited like that. On-Off is not. And On-Off (aka black level versus white level) can be as high as 30000:1 with the latest projectors. The new Pioneer Kuros Plasmas have officially 20000:1. Whether they have actually just 10000:1 or whatever they sure look different to older models with lesser claimed contrast and higher black levels.

• Premium Member
CRT still beats out LCD or Plasma, but the convenience and space saving factor of the latter make them more trendy I suppose.

I have a 32 inch CRT as well as my LCD, and in my opinion the LCD looks better. Neither is a professional grade monitor of course, but I watch both of them every day and I like the LCD better.

• Premium Member
ANSI contrast is limited like that. On-Off is not. And On-Off (aka black level versus white level) can be as high as 30000:1 with the latest projectors. The new Pioneer Kuros Plasmas have officially 20000:1. Whether they have actually just 10000:1 or whatever they sure look different to older models with lesser claimed contrast and higher black levels.

Hi Michael,

Whenever I have got my spot meter out I have never seen more than 256:1 however I have not tested an Ecimema display this way.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Well, I don't know of any motion picture camera system capable of shooting it, or any recording medium capable of reproducing it with 1LSB per stop, so...

... I guess that would be a "no".

Back in reality-ville, these ratios are fairly meaningless in a world where displays using plasma cells and LEDs exist which can, at least in theory, achieve zero black luminance. In these cases, the contrast calculation becomes a division by zero and the ratio is infinite.

Phil

• Premium Member

Copied from a 1-7-08 release:

Crystal Clear Monitor To Debut -- At a Hefty Price

Sony announced Sunday that it plans to introduce its organic LED television monitor, which is said to produce a picture indistinguishable from that of a mirror, in the U.S. this month. The 11-inch XEL-1 television, using organic light-emitting diode technology, will sport a hefty MSRP -- about $2,500. A 20-inch version is also being unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week, but a price has not yet been established for it.

• Premium Member
Thousands of moving parts...why would that ever be a good idea?

Actually, 2.2 million per chip. But they're all identical copies made in the same process on the same chip. So, they actually turn out to be pretty reliable. When you do have a problem, you start with a whole fresh new set of 2.2 million of them at once.

I'd take DLP front projection over anything else that's out there.

-- J.S.

I have a Sharp video DLP projector (3000;1 contrast ratio), and an Elite Screens 101 inch screen.

I love it.

It looks better than anything I've seen, and the viewing angle is fine anywhere in my living room.

The only downside, is that you have to have the lights very low (or off) or the blacks get milky.

I don't say this lightly, but it looks damn near like film. It doesn't have that over-contrasty, crusty "electronic" look that all flat screens have.

And the system (not including my surround audio setup) was about $1K.

Matt Pacini

Hi Michael,

Whenever I have got my spot meter out I have never seen more than 256:1 however I have not tested an Ecimema display this way.

Stephen

That was for black and white in the same picture, no? That's ANSI type of contrast. Measure black and white sequentially and if you still get < 256:1 your probe is faulty/inaccurate or you use a model with very poor On-Off contrast. It has to be said though that measuring black levels on monitors and projectors is tricky since if the black level is low most probes are way too inaccurate to give useful results.

I'd take DLP front projection over anything else that's out there.

-- J.S.

I prefer the new JVC D_ILA models due to higher On-Off and less veil in dark scenes. With brighter scenes good DLP has an ANSI contrast advantage though and possibly more depth/punch. They can also look sharper.

• Premium Member

I walk through my local Circuit Cities and Best Buys. I look at the new plasmas and LCDs. They're big. They are big. But, none of them look better than my 26" JVC studio monitor, CRT. None of them are as big as the image projected 8 feet wide from my Infocus projector. I'm still waiting for both the quality to increase and the price to decrease on plasmas and LCDs.

Those new high frame rate 120 hertz televisions are kind of interesting as they have the ability to interpolate extra frames. I watched a demonstration at Best Buy and it effectively converts the movie look to the hyper realistic video look. Or in other words the film footage now screams video. I think Cinematographers that favor higher frame rates like Doug Trumbell are very carefull to intercut the 60 frames per second footage with the 24 frames per secound footage because too much high frame rate footage overdoes it and wrecks the film look.

While this is obviously not something any of us are going to buy.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/hands-o...-inch-behemoth/

Thats big.

I always thought DLP projection looked great. I saw a demonstration of the Sim Domino (I think thats what its called) and it looked very good. Is there an issue with DLP projection and some people experiencing a rainbow effect in their peripheral vision?

If I was in the market I think the Panasonic AE900 looks very good at its price point.

Is there an issue with DLP projection and some people experiencing a rainbow effect in their peripheral vision?

One chip DLP produces rainbows for people sensitive to the artifact, The amount visible is quite variable and depends on the person as well as the technical details of the one chip DLP (DLP chip generation, how many segments in the color wheel, lamp source or LED, internal processing and synchronisation...).