What is the "rare" 10-100 Zeiss lens selling with Arri 16 BL?

• Premium Member

I was looking at an Arri 16BL for sale. I've used them always with the Angenieux

12-120 but this was advertised as having the "rare" Zeiss 10-100 lens. I haven't come

across that. Is it faster, sharper?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
I was looking at an Arri 16BL for sale. I've used them always with the Angenieux

12-120 but this was advertised as having the "rare" Zeiss 10-100 lens. I haven't come

across that. Is it faster, sharper?

Thanks.

I know of one 10-100 and it's far from rare. :lol: It's a pretty nice lens. T2 or 2.2 I believe and quite sharp. It would cut well with super speeds, though not quite as snappy. Not great wide open but acceptable for a lot of things and improves by T2.8 or certainly T4.

• Premium Member
I know of one 10-100 and it's far from rare. :lol: It's a pretty nice lens. T2 or 2.2 I believe and quite sharp. It would cut well with super speeds, though not quite as snappy. Not great wide open but acceptable for a lot of things and improves by T2.8 or certainly T4.

I think if it's sold with the BL, it's more likely to be the earlier generation 10-100 T3. And I wouldn't say that it's rare either...!

jb

• Premium Member

I shot with a 16 BL and 10-100 rented from Jack Pill back in the mid 1970's. The Angenieux 12-120 had a larger market share, but the Zeiss wasn't exactly rare. It was a little more expensive, IIRC. Both had to be permanently housed in an Arri BL custom lens blimp, which wasn't particularly convenient. One in the blimp without the camera might be fairly rare.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
I shot with a 16 BL and 10-100 rented from Jack Pill back in the mid 1970's. The Angenieux 12-120 had a larger market share, but the Zeiss wasn't exactly rare. It was a little more expensive, IIRC. Both had to be permanently housed in an Arri BL custom lens blimp, which wasn't particularly convenient. One in the blimp without the camera might be fairly rare.

-- J.S.

It seems that the consensus here is there were a fair number around. Probably because the 12-120 is

more common and the camera was for sale, the word "rare" seemed like a good description to the seller.

Thanks!

I remember taking a 12-120 out of one of those blimps. Ship in a bottle!

It seems that the consensus here is there were a fair number around. Probably because the 12-120 is

more common and the camera was for sale, the word "rare" seemed like a good description to the seller.

Thanks!

I remember taking a 12-120 out of one of those blimps. Ship in a bottle!

You could also get the 9.5-95 Angenieux; that was rather large inside the blimp. The 10-100 was much more compact, losing only 1/3 stop a bit on the wide end and not focusing quite as close as the 9.5 to 95. The T3 Zeiss was a much sharper lenses, I had one which I used on my CP16R and Aaton for a few years. Again quality improved when closed a stop, but still usable wide open on many productions. The triangular flare made it easy to spot on screen.