Choosing B&W stock / cross-processing 7266

Hi Forum

I'm in Pre-prod for a short B&W S16 film and my DP and I are choosing our stock.

We're shooting in a big church and budget doesn't allow for anything more than 2k HMI's.

So though I'd like to shoot with 7231 we need more speed. I really want good contrast without too too much grain (not sure that we can get what I want out of the 7222). I also love a slightly silvery look (Robby Muller's work on Kings of the Road is the ideal - anyone know what stock they used?)

We've kicked around the idea of using 7266. I've heard that processing it as a negative will a) give me a bit of that silvery look and B) be slightly more forgiving than the reversal normally is. Has anyone used this process?

Any advice/insight would be much appreciated.

Andreas

Edited by Mendritzki Andreas

• Premium Member

I've never heard that cross-processing b&w reversal makes it less contrasty (or less grainy.)

I'd test Plus-X neg pushed one stop to see if that's better than Double-X neg. Test cross-processing b&w reversal, though if this is for scanning / telecine only, you don't necessarily have to convert it into a negative.

Also test shooting on color negative and removing the color in post if this is for scanning / telecine only.

Thanks David

What this person was saying was that processing the reversal as neg gave it a bit more latitude (but ultimately contrast is, I guess, directly related to latitude. . .)

And yes, it is going the telecine route, so we have lots of options.

I guess just test, test, test.

I need a money tree.

Andreas

Thanks David

What this person was saying was that processing the reversal as neg gave it a bit more latitude (but ultimately contrast is, I guess, directly related to latitude. . .)

Old data sheets for B?W reversal films say that processing it as a neg gives you a one stop speed loss and increased graininess.

• 1 month later...
Old data sheets for B?W reversal films say that processing it as a neg gives you a one stop speed loss and increased graininess.

Hi all,

I got my tests back and I'd say Leo is right. The cross-processed tri-x was less contrasty, had more grain, and looked about 1 stop under... looked not unlike 7222 in some ways.

Certainly it didn't retain the crispness of the tri-x

cheers

Andreas

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

I got my tests back and I'd say Leo is right. The cross-processed tri-x was less contrasty, had more grain, and looked about 1 stop under... looked not unlike 7222 in some ways.

Certainly it didn't retain the crispness of the tri-x

cheers

Andreas

Any results from other tests? Which route did you follow? I am thinking about shooting on the 7266 and 65 for a Super 16 feature and am curious what other peoples experience is.

:rolleyes: