Cleaning out the closet...

Kurt Porter

I've just inherited a Bolex H16 EL with a 400ft mag and a Vario-Switar 1.9 lens. A production company I've worked for off and on for years just handed it over as they were cleaning out their old storage rooms. As a Super-8 user who was about to switch to 16mm anyway, the timing is perfect!

So, I'm kind of diving in head first here. The camera was last used in the 80s and probably been sitting since. I want to get it CLAd right off the bat. Does anyone have a preferred repair shop that they can recommend? I'm not far from Los Angeles.

I also need a crash course in operating this camera. Are their any books out there that can get me up and running quickly? I've loaded other reflex Bolex cameras in school (read: not recently) so I can form loops with some trial and error but other than that I'm starting from square one.

The camera comes with a ni-cad power pack (mounts on camera's side) but no charger and the pack is in rough shape anyway with a missing screw.

Any other websites I should check out? I'm posting here first since I've got good super-8 info in the past and it seems like everyone here is helpful.

Thanks!

Kurt.

• Premium Member

As far as information on the Bolex, Andrew Alden was always my "go to guy" when it came to those cameras. You can visit him at this web site:

http://www.bolex.co.uk/

His Bolex Bible is really informative.

You can also get some general Bolex information from a couple of free PDF's that Tim Tyler has on this web site. One is specifically on the EBM, which I realize is not the camera you have, and the other is on the 400 ft magazine and the VarioSwitar lens that I believe you have. You can find them at this web link:

Bolex Manuals on Cinematography.com

Also Nick Mulder is kind of the guru of all things Bolex, so I am sure he can steer you to some place to have the camera overhauled.

Best of luck with your new camera,

-Tim

• Premium Member

A simple 16 hour charger can be constructed out of Radio Shack type supplies. Fast chargers require technology but a charger can be just a wall wart power supply and a series current limiting resistor.

Tim ? downloaded a manual and will probably get the Bolex Bible. I also found JK Camera. I'll get in touch to see if they do overhauls in addition to super 16 conversions.

Hal ? I'm game to construct a charger with enough instructions, but I think the battery is probably dust. Is there any reason I couldn't just build a battery pack with a couple of ni-cad batteries and charge them on a wall charger? Worked with my Beaulieu Super-8... I'd have to solder a new cable but that's not too hard if I can find the right connectors...

Thanks,

Kurt.

Tim ? downloaded a manual and will probably get the Bolex Bible. I also found JK Camera. I'll get in touch to see if they do overhauls in addition to super 16 conversions.

Hal ? I'm game to construct a charger with enough instructions, but I think the battery is probably dust. Is there any reason I couldn't just build a battery pack with a couple of ni-cad batteries and charge them on a wall charger? Worked with my Beaulieu Super-8... I'd have to solder a new cable but that's not too hard if I can find the right connectors...

Thanks,

Kurt.

if the bat is also from the 80's it probably will not work. get some new Ni metal cells, much nicer than Cd. Also, I bought from ebay an 'universal charger' for 20 dollars and work as a beauty.

Thats a sweet camera to have inherited ...

Dont use the 400' mags until you've had some fun/good results from the camera or you'll learn to hate it really fast ...

CLA/super16 for the EL ? - I'd do my own, or send it to the Bolex tech down the Rd, not so helpful for you as I am in New Zealand.

Heres a link to the EL manual: http://www.apecity.com/manuals/bolex_h16_el.pdf

As for the battery, anything goes, keep in mind the EL draws about 700~850 mA depending on the speed and closer to 900mA~1A with the 400' motor, hopefully less if you get it all cleaned up nice and sweet - get out your handy Amp Hr calculator and away you go! - My NiCd 1.2Ah battery has never run out on a full days shooting (on most shoots cameras are usually idle most of the time) ...

The connector is relatively expensive, I forget the type/part Amphenol something - search here and you'll find it or order direct from Bolex for the plastic molded type - personally I'd use the one you have, dont worry if the screw is missing as there is often enough friction in the pins to hold it on anyway, if not then hmmm, it'll be a metric thread - hang on ... well, its smaller than a 0.5 pitch which is the smallest my gauge goes down to, with a 2.5mm diameter - swiss bastards and their odd sizes ;)

Connections are two left pins on camera body (looking at it sideways) are positive and the other two common earth, i.e. the two lefts are connected and the two rights are connected in the battery...

~Nick

Edited by Nick Mulder

R. ? I'll get new cells and look out for a universal charger.

Nick ? Yeah, I'll hold off on the 400' mag, especially since I don't have a motor for it. Will have to search eBay, probably...

Thanks for the manual link.

I have the power plug connector for the battery. The battery end was cut off, no problem if I build my own. The screw is still there.

So both the left pins are positive? They both get 12v, and the two on the left are both ground?

Yeah, it's a sweet new years present when you get a Bolex EL...

Kurt.

So both the left pins are positive? They both get 12v, and the two on the left are both ground?

Yeah, it's a sweet new years present when you get a Bolex EL...

Kurt.

Hang on, we gotta orient ourselves correctly before we can talk left or right ... Ok, so if you want to talk battery connector its like this:

Looking at the connector so you can actually see the 4 holes (you're 'in front' of it kinda) - now orient it so the slotted section is at the bottom - the two on the left are ground and the two on the right are 12v.

I think it might be in the manual, near the end ...

Get the damn thing working!

shoot! shoot!

:D

Edited by Nick Mulder