What focal length is this?

John O'Lone

• Premium Member

Is this a test or something? I'll take a crack at it.

The first one is on the wide end but not too extreme, judging by the angle at which you are looking down at the grass on the bottom edge of frame. Assuming 35mm is the format, I would guess 25mm or so.

The second one could be any of a range and I could probably not tell, unless they were put side to side. I'll toss 75 or 80mm out there.

Tell me if I am close :)

The compression artifacting on the latter shot could make it hard for people to examine the out of focus area. I'd also say the first shot is 50mm, it looks very much an average shot, and if I'm correct 50mm is the point where 35mm film is undistorted by the lens.

• Premium Member
The compression artifacting on the latter shot could make it hard for people to examine the out of focus area. I'd also say the first shot is 50mm, it looks very much an average shot, and if I'm correct 50mm is the point where 35mm film is undistorted by the lens.

Undistorted is probably not the best way to say it. A lens ALWAYS creates a distortion of the image, simply by nature of putting it on 2D media. ;)

As for looking wide or telephoto, a 50mm is "normal" on 35mm still film. A 35mm film frame is smaller and the calculated normal lens I come up with (for a frame of 18x24 mm) is 30mm.