DoF calculator for iPhone and iTouch.

Yeah, its a great tool, but the fact that you have to be online kinda lets the air out of all of the WebApps right now.

I know that Apple is releasing the Software Development Kit for iPhone in the next few weeks, so hopefully we'll be seeing this stuff as standalone apps very soon?

• Premium Member
Yeah, its a great tool, but the fact that you have to be online kinda lets the air out of all of the WebApps right now.

I know that Apple is releasing the Software Development Kit for iPhone in the next few weeks, so hopefully we'll be seeing this stuff as standalone apps very soon?

I had no idea you had to be online for that to work. That's kind of lame. Hopefully one will come along soon that is a standalone.

• Premium Member
Though kind of nifty - that's way overly cumbersome. Why can't you just memorize the approximate focus distance?

Why is it cumbersome? You enter a couple numbers and it gives you some information. You aren't going to memorize enough stuff to replace a depth of field calculator.

I had no idea you had to be online for that to work. That's kind of lame. Hopefully one will come along soon that is a standalone.

You don't have to be on a wifi signal for it to work, just anywhere in the EDGE Data network. EDGE is slow, but for a simple online calculator there shouldn't be much loading time. That being said, if you're out of range your out of luck. I imagine a host of new apps will be released with the SDK though. Great find regardless. An assistant friend of mine was recently telling me that a dof calculator was holding him back from getting one. Let's hope this changes his mind!

Riz

You don't have to be on a wifi signal for it to work, just anywhere in the EDGE Data network.

Michael, I guess that's how it works with the iPhone, but for the iPod touch you need a wifi signal. I love my iPod, but I'm not going to buy the iPhone (and it's not even available here yet anyway).

The dev kit is already out there, and from what I've heard it's not going to be that difficult to "translaste" a web page or widget into an app. i guess we just have to wait.

• Premium Member
I guess I don't understand why you need the exact numbers.

For when you're doing something like a hostess tray shot/reverse and the DP says "Go with the 50 mm and make 'em both sharp." How would you figure it out otherwise? Keep in mind you generally don't want too much depth of field so you do have an upper limit as well.

Edited by Chris Keth

I guess I don't understand why you need the exact numbers.

You can usually estimate what sort of DoF you have at any given focal length & f-stop, but it never hurts to be exact about what's in focus and what's gone soft as you're not always going to see it thru the viewfinder.

• Premium Member
You can usually estimate what sort of DoF you have at any given focal length & f-stop, but it never hurts to be exact about what's in focus and what's gone soft as you're not always going to see it thru the viewfinder.

Exactly, and I find I don't even pull out my calculator unless 1. I'm curious. 2. We need hyperfocal distance. or 3. It's a situation where we're relying on the DoF to hold certain points in focus (splits)

• 2 weeks later...