Double booking??

robert duke

How is it with 365 days a year and work being slow do producers always seem to puck the same dates?

I mean really how is it that in a single month that four producers would all schedule shoots on ONE day.

How can this be?

Come on?!? It has been One shoot every other week since x mas. and now 4 but all wanting one day? What is that crap?

• Premium Member

Welcome to the Poisson Distribution. It's what hooks compulsive gamblers and drives freelancers nuts.

If a given event happens on the average once a month, is free to occur earlier or later, and is also free to occur more than once in a month there is a finite probability that the event will happen four times on a given day....and you have four producers calling to book you for the same day. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution

Traditionally in my world, Thursday seems to be the most popular day for shoots. No idea why that is. If I ever have to turn down a day because I'm already booked, it is usually a Thursday. AND if I get multiple calls for the same day, it is usually Thursday. Odd. :unsure:

I've learned that if you take a call, a better one will always come that either overlaps or is exactly in the same time frame, unless you turn it down. Then the phone doesn't ring for another two weeks. If I get a call for a movie more than two months in advance, I'll wait till the last possible second to give a definite yes because my regular DP or Key will call if I take it too early.If I turn it down, well, you know.

Le Poisson, Le Poisson, Hee hee hee, Haw haw haw.

I always try to go by first come first served principles. It just befuddles me that four productions would find one day to schedule. I have one shoot single day shoot that has postponed 5 times. my luck they will reschedule on the same day and make it 5.

• Premium Member

What we need here is some kind of coordinating service or coordinating function -- maybe a web site. If the various productions could all know what's planned for when, they could spread things around so they're not all trying to get the same people and rental equipment at once. Kinda like figuring out with your friends who's gonna do the superbowl party this year.....

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I hate it when that happens. But at least it makes you feel wanted!

Another situation I hate is when I have the opportunity to leave one job before it's finished to go to another job, but I'm loyal and finish the job I'm on, because inevitably, the job I'm on (or the producer or UPM of said job) will often screw me over in some way. I've been loyal in these situations in the past and it's really bitten me in the butt a couple of times. Makes you wonder what good there is in being loyal as opposed to just jumping ship at every opportunity for something better.

• Premium Member

Irony.

This never happens to me because I'm a staff shooter, but my goal for 2008 is to go out on my own, so I've been booking a lot of outside work.

Of course I read this thread and low and behold, whattya think happens?

How is it with 365 days a year and work being slow do producers always seem to puck the same dates?

Here's something I learned from another operator and I try to use it when I can. If you can pull it off it is a good way to nail a booking and keep yourself open for better gigs.

For the lower rate/marginal bookings or when you have a few projects pending for a date range, tell them you may have other jobs in the works but you'll confirm with them so they are covered. AND that if the other job comes through, YOU will personally find them a qualified and suitable replacement that is as good or better. It's a three-way win; you've got a bird in the hand, they have it off their plate AND you can potentially get the better job and pass something along to someone you know and trust who will hopefully return the favor one day.

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator