Reflection in someone's eye

It could probably easily be done in camera. Get the actor and his/her eye on a set with black everywhere. Place one light source to the right to light the eye, place the actor who's reflection you want to the left and be sure he/she's well lit (placing his/her light behind the "eye actor", unless you want another twinkle to show up in the eye). Get some duvetyne or some black material to hide the camera and operator from the eye's reflection and there you go.

Easier said than done, but it can be done, and it'll look much more natural than some After Effects composite.

• Premium Member
It could probably easily be done in camera. Get the actor and his/her eye on a set with black everywhere. Place one light source to the right to light the eye, place the actor who's reflection you want to the left and be sure he/she's well lit (placing his/her light behind the "eye actor", unless you want another twinkle to show up in the eye). Get some duvetyne or some black material to hide the camera and operator from the eye's reflection and there you go.

Easier said than done, but it can be done, and it'll look much more natural than some After Effects composite.

That's pretty much it. I will add that the person in the reflection will have to be lit pretty hot to show up how you want. It will probably surprise you how much light i will take.

• Premium Member
Some great ideas there, but lets say we can't do that and I want to do it entirely in post. I have the two shots ready to go - the eye and the figure to put into the eye.

Hi Phil,

you can do that in post if it's not possible in camera. Won't look as natural though, unless you put some real effort into it. Use a combination of distortion filters and masks, maybe tweak the colours a bit too. Either use After Effects or Combustion or whatever app suits you most.

Cheers, Dave

• 5 months later...

I saw a tutorial about "projecting" an image onto another image in After Effects. Can't remember the link, but maybe searching gobos will help your search (also included in their tutorial). Projecting your reflection onto an eye shaped 3d eye shape might be the way to go.

I'd suggest checking out creativecow.com and going through a few of their AE tutorials. The previous posts have already cued you in on what sorts of techniques you might need: masking, distortion, projecting, etc. Creative Cow has a huge amount of written and video tutorials, many of which are on AE. Just browse for the techniques you want and check it out!