Peter Hyam

Marque DeWinter

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

No, but I think he's a very talented DP.

His work on Presidio, Outland (truly ahead of its time), 2010 (fantastic soft and motivated lighting), Running Scared (solid Bruckheimer-esque look), Narrow Margin (nice night stuff) and The Relic (bad film, but really daring night work on it) looks great. He's got that soft light, smoke-filled look that I have a weak spot for. It's all very Tony Scott in look. Even the dreadful End Of Days looks pretty good.

Guest Tim Partridge

According to Hyams himself, Conrad Hall was a big fan:

"In 1997, Conrad Hall was talking to me on the phone. He's one of my idols. And he asked me, 'How come you're not in the ASC (American Society of Cinematographers)?' And I said, 'Well, they don't like me. It's not that I don't like them.'

"He said, 'That's nonsense. If I [and another cinematographer] sign your application, will you join?' I said yes. So I send in my application and I was summoned to this meeting for 90 minutes. And a couple of days later, this rejection letter came."

http://www.lukeford.net/profiles/profiles/peter_hyams.htm

There is quite a bit on his cinematography in that one.

According to Hyams himself, Conrad Hall was a big fan:

"In 1997, Conrad Hall was talking to me on the phone. He's one of my idols. And he asked me, 'How come you're not in the ASC (American Society of Cinematographers)?' And I said, 'Well, they don't like me. It's not that I don't like them.'

"He said, 'That's nonsense. If I [and another cinematographer] sign your application, will you join?' I said yes. So I send in my application and I was summoned to this meeting for 90 minutes. And a couple of days later, this rejection letter came."

http://www.lukeford.net/profiles/profiles/peter_hyams.htm

There is quite a bit on his cinematography in that one.

The cinematography canon of Hyams is legitimate and if he didn't serve as director; his resume alone would be an open invitation to the ASC.

This just undermines the integrity of the ASC as an artistic fellowship and cements it as an extension as a lobour organization. To paraphrase a Harrison Ford movie: "What good is an honour from such people."

• Premium Member

Good interview. He definitely belongs in the ASC, in my view. Come to think of it - yes, none of his films have been covered in American Cinematographer. Suddenly my old conspiration theory that no Fuji films ever get featured doesn't seem so far fetched anymore...

Guest Tim Partridge
I think Peter a very good cameraman and a very good director. I feel when he works as a Director/Cameraman is camerawork tends to be very safe. Too safe.

Does he DP for other directors at all?

• 1 month later...

We are currently shooting a feature film in Shreveport Louisiana with

Peter Hyams and starring Michael Douglas, Amber Tamblyn & Jesse Metcalfe.

We're shooting on the new RED 4K Digital Cinema with our final output of 4K film scan. Peter loves this new technology and has fully embraced it. He love the workflow, along with the immediate response of what you see is what you get (to a certain degree),

makes the process of filmmaking more responsive and for most cases faster.

"It's like having your negatives developed on set and then having them instantly available to you. There is no more guess work involved."

We were very fortunate to have had full support of Apple and Red in order to help us create a very efficient workflow.

The Red responds really well under low light. We're shooting most of our scenes with available light/ practical light.

The amount of details in the highlights and shadows is unlike what any high definition camera could ever capture.

We are doing a lot of in-camera color adjustment due to the fact that Quicktime proxy files create a flat pass and create more of a washed out low contrast image.

Since this can affect the look of your dailies, it was unacceptable for Peter. Therefore, in-camera color adjustments were necessary.

The other solution would have been to use Red Alert or Red Cine to set your contrast and your gamma curves, but this process is time-consuming when producing dailies on set.

As far as image quality and the organic feel, it's not even close to film. It's still digital, but offers another available tool for the appropriate project or vision.

We are putting the Red through a full test with all available accessories.

The camera has responded so well, even prompting Michael Douglas to inquire on the Red's capabilities while on set.

We are currently shooting with the following:

6 x Reds,

2 x EVF's

6 x Arri 19mm Base Plate Sliding Dove Tail & Full Cinema Support

6 x Hot-Swap Battery Supply for RED Cameras (non-stop shooting)

1 x Set of Arri Master Primes: 14, 18, 21, 35, 50, 75 & 100mm T1.3 (best lenses I have ever seen)

1 x Arri Ultra Prime 180mm T2.0

1 x Arri Prime 100mm T2.0

1 x Arri Prime 135mm T2.0

1 x Cooke 18-100 Mark II T3.0

1 x Cooke 25-250 Mark II T4.0

2 x Steadicams

1 x Super Techno Crane

2 x ArriHead 2 Geared Head

9 x Panasonic 8.4" HD LCD Monitors with Waveform

7 x Panasonic 17" HD LCD Monitors with Waveform

1 x Panasonic 26" HD LCD Monitor with waveform

5 x Preston Full Fiz Wireless Follow Focus Systems

1 x Viewfactor Prototype Remote VTR Start and Stop

6 x MB20 4 x5 Mattebox

2 x MB14 6x6 Mattebox

2 x LMB5 4x5 Clamp-on Mattebox

6 x FF5 Follow Focus

4 x Cine Tapes

6 x Ambient Clockit Boxes

Along with everything else needed to support a feature film of this magnitude.

This new digital technology is simply phenomenal and will change cinema.

Thank You!

Michael Mansouri DIT

Radiant Images

Red Camera Rentals . Com

• 2 weeks later...