HDX Questions

Frank DiBugnara

I have an upcoming commercial shoot on the HDX. Final output is standard definition for broadcast. I had a few questions:

1) Since the camera's chips are 720 and the 1080 is a result of an internal upconversion, is there any advantage to shooting in 1080? (I think I've heard people say that the situation is similar on the HVX where a side by side comparison yielded little difference between the 720 and 1080 setting.)

2) If I shoot in 1080, can I still digitize the footage via Firewire into FCP with FW 800 drives as I can with 720 DVC Pro 100 footage?

3) Does anyone have any thoughts on a Pro-35 adapter interacting with this camera?

Thanks

I have an upcoming commercial shoot on the HDX. Final output is standard definition for broadcast. I had a few questions:

1) Since the camera's chips are 720 and the 1080 is a result of an internal upconversion, is there any advantage to shooting in 1080? (I think I've heard people say that the situation is similar on the HVX where a side by side comparison yielded little difference between the 720 and 1080 setting.)

2) If I shoot in 1080, can I still digitize the footage via Firewire into FCP with FW 800 drives as I can with 720 DVC Pro 100 footage?

3) Does anyone have any thoughts on a Pro-35 adapter interacting with this camera?

Thanks

1) The absolute best quality possible from the HVX200 is in 1080p mode. There is no upconversion in that camera. It makes 720 as a downconversion though.

2) Yes.

3) I use the M2 all the time with this camera and it works great but time is required to not only set it up but also to ensure focus is sharp all the time with both lenses.

1) No real advantage except to my eye progressive always looks better than interlaced. It's probably best to shoot at its native 720p, you can always convert to 1080i if it's needed for some reason.

2) I second the "Yes"

3) I shot with the HDX using a Pro35 adapter and it looked quite good. We had a set of Zeiss SuperSpeeds, and as a backup a Canon zoom mounted for 3/4" bayo. We only used the zoom once for a couple low light exteriors, and it looked very different compared to the stuff shot with the adapter. Just remember to check that the adapter's spinning ground glass is on for every take!

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

My shoot is in Arizona, and to my knowledge, there is no true Pro-35mm adapter in the State. I'd like to avoid bringing one in from out of town.

There is, however, a P+S Tecnik 35mm adapter here locally. Any opinions on or experiences with this adapter in comparison? I don't know how many speed settings it has in contrast to the Pro-35 infinitely variable GG speed control.

I'd like to shoot with shallow DOF. I'm considering using the Angenieux HR 25-250mm T3.5. This lens is a bit soft for my taste when I shoot film, but it is fast (in comparison to Primes) and fits in the budget (there's an Optimo in town at double the price). Any thoughts on this lens used under these circumstances?

My shoot is in Arizona, and to my knowledge, there is no true Pro-35mm adapter in the State. I'd like to avoid bringing one in from out of town.

There is, however, a P+S Tecnik 35mm adapter here locally. Any opinions on or experiences with this adapter in comparison? I don't know how many speed settings it has in contrast to the Pro-35 infinitely variable GG speed control.

I'd like to shoot with shallow DOF. I'm considering using the Angenieux HR 25-250mm T3.5. This lens is a bit soft for my taste when I shoot film, but it is fast (in comparison to Primes) and fits in the budget (there's an Optimo in town at double the price). Any thoughts on this lens used under these circumstances?

p+s technik makes both the pro35 and mini35 adapters and they produce similar images depending on the cam, it's how they mount that is different - to my knowledge the pro35 is the only adapter for 35mm dof on 2/3 inch chip cameras such as the hdx900 - where it mounts directly into the lens port.

The mini35 comes with different mounts depending on what camera you're using it with - it can dock with the jvc hdv and canon hdv removable lens cameras, but they have a different size lens port so that probably wouldn't work for your hdx900

Otherwise it can mount to the filter threads at the front of the hvx200 (72mm), which you may be able to make work if you can find a lens for your hdx with 72mm filter thread that is equivalent to the long end of the hvx lens (50mm x 2ish = 100mm).

Of course you'd end up with hdx900 + 100mm + mini35 + Angi 25-250, so I'd say handheld might be out of the question (or fitting it through narrow hallways).

as for the lens - I've used both a cook 20-100 3.1 and an Angi 20-120 2.9 with the mini35 adaptor and both of them have had some fairly significant vignetting (which actually looks really pretty), but i would expect the 25 250 to vignette also

My rec would be to get that pro35 from out of state if possible....

Isn't the Pro 35 the same adapter? Ive worked with the Angenieux 25-250mm on the end of the P+S and in my opinion at T3.5 you're looking at something akin to wide open on 2/3 chips. Plus you've lost two stops and have to work at T3.5. Coincidently, we ended up renting an Optimo (Availability issues I think). Be prepared for how heavy, long and unwieldy this rig is. I hope this helps.

The Pro35 is the product from P+S Technik.

The HDX900 has better final resolution in 1080i if that is your final finish. The chip is 1280x720. DVCPROHD records 960x720 in 720p or 1280x1080 in 1080i, so the resulting final image in 1080i uses greater pixel depth.

You can record either to your Firewire drives.