H-16 Supreme (non reflex) viewfinder - S16 conversion

alan smith

Let's try this again, I didn't get ANY responses to my last two questions - too stupid I guess.

Onward --

If I sent my camera to someone? for conversion, would they enlarge the viewfinder gate to match (for framing purposes) the film gate? Is there enough meat in the ground glass/prism to do so? I guess I could tear the front off the camera and look for myself.

I'm asking here hopeing someone has had the work done to their NON REFLEX Bolex.

The service shops are either too busy to respond, or dismiss the issue with: "it's not worth the expense."

Anyone???

call meritex, although id only ever do this myself if i was going to put a pellicle viewfinder in there

I'm assuming the pelical viewfinder mentioned is a superior type of viewfinder prism? I was going to inquire if the finder (10x/13x) from a Reflex model could be adapted to fit, but perhaps a bridge too far...

I'm asking here hopeing someone has had the work done to their NON REFLEX Bolex.

The service shops are either too busy to respond, or dismiss the issue with: "it's not worth the expense."

Do you want to convert a non-reflex to reflex in addition to the S16 conversion?

You're not very clear about this.

Pardon my lack of clarity, I've been sick. :P

What I'm getting at is really simple. If I send a Non-reflex H-16 for conversion to S16, is there enough glass in the viewing prism on top, for them to widen the port (to allow a full frame view -- for composing and focus)?

It's hard to imagine Bolex would have used a prism block wider than necessary for N16, of course I'm hopeing they did.

Add some "lazer brightening" and a 13x finder from a late Reflex model -- sounds good to me. ;)

Due to stroke limitations, I'm restricted to a "locked down" tripod anyway. I'm not trying to run about with a camera to my face or make the camera/viewer seem to be part of the action.

Regardless, thanks for your responses

i would think meritex can do it for sure but from a value perspective its a waste of cash. it will not be close to being worth what you pay for it. also, if you are planning to use glass that can cover s16 and is good quality id consider doing those images justice by giving them proper framing via reflex viewing. there is no purism is non reflex