What HD Camera would you buy?

Christopher Arata

Hello all.

I was recently asked the question, of all the HD cameras out there which one would I buy?

My answer was, it depends on what you plan on shooting. I was then told everything from interviews to feature productions.

Then I was stumped, there are so many choices.

So what HD camera would you invest in?

• Premium Member

It's a trick question.

The right answer is not to buy, but to rent. The rental companies eat the depreciation and take the risk on obsolescence. They also maintain stuff and store it when you don't need it. Come to think of it, most of the time you don't need it. That's a big chunk of cash sitting there not earning interest, taking up space, and at risk of being stolen. All the major studios rent, and for excellent reasons.

Buying makes sense if it's pro-sumer gear and not too expensive, or if you're going to be shooting stock footage in the remote wilderness for months at a time, or stuff like that.

-- J.S.

Thanks and I agree with both of you!

However I need some advice, so here are the details.

The thing is, my friend works for Children United nations. They basically want him to put together a complete crew and package that can travel where ever they need them to and already have everything they need in place and with them & bring in support as is necessary.

With this info, do you still think renting would be the best?