Sitcom lightning

Xavier Plaza

Hi guys

I was intrigue, because my next job it could be a sitcom comedy. I know this not a "huge" challenge (about cinematography) like work on dramatic tv serie, where you have several locations... I was searching info and looking several lightning setups because i want to make a beautiful soft lightning over the main characters...

How i meet your mother is a good example. Then I found in a making of this interesting light i guess this could be a huge soft light creating an ambient light to the main characters and then completed with backlight and kickers.

What do you think about this sof light...

Thanks for the comments

Xavier Plaza

post-11257-1204308232.jpg

HI

i was lighting director on many sitcoms here in israel

my system was simple and yet very flexible

on every set i used as back light and side light 2k zip light and box them for spill( with aggcreat and additional black box i built around them)

then from the front i used bounce light from form core and skirt them from the wall with black fabric

then if i had window i put baby 2k to to give same light to came in like day light with 251/wd in it

then hock the practicals

most important was to have 2 small soft light on stands each one near the camera that take the CU for eye light

working on like 50%

everything hock to dimer board for control

and you are ready for everything day or night

and don't have to worry for boom shadow

if i had big set the i put 5k soft light and even 6k space light with skirt

i also light the backdrop with cyclight

if you want you can change filters from day to night

good luck

ps

ask the production designer to paint the walls in more dark tone!!!!

Edited by Ram Shani

Hi Ram thanks for that inputs, yeah totally agree on several points. I guess my first big challenge it could be creating a huge soft box (ambient light) and avoid with huge fabric the background or as you say i can create a soft light bounce in foam core. Because i don't wanna use direct fresnel (even with 250) to the character creating several shadows in the face or neck.

Another thing is I just wanna test using a 5K light (perhaps some CTO) through window directly simulating the sun or the other option is put behind the set 2 5K on the floor and bouncing with foam core at the window edge simulating an ambient day light...

Anyway thanks for the tips

Xavier