Ultra HD

• Premium Member

It'll be like what happened with computer monitors. Remember when it was a big deal to go from CGA to EGA to VGA? Now there's a menu of a dozen or more different pixel grids, and everything adapts and converts, no big deal.

-- J.S.

Nothing new. NHK has been showing this camera at NAB for the past couple of years. It's a monster. Lots of issues, but it is insanely sharp. I like the 22-channel surround system. Can anyone here actually tell the difference between say, 20 channel and 22 channel? The whole thing is insane overkill, but it is fun.

Nothing new. NHK has been showing this camera at NAB for the past couple of years. It's a monster. Lots of issues, but it is insanely sharp. I like the 22-channel surround system. Can anyone here actually tell the difference between say, 20 channel and 22 channel? The whole thing is insane overkill, but it is fun.

Sounds like a ploy by speaker makers. Yeah, your gonna have to go out and buy 22 bose sattelites at 300 each. sounds like I need to get into a new industry. And its 22.2 surround. thats 22 speakers and 2 subs.

I wonder what camera they will get to produce for this new format (if it ever materializes). Red and Dalsa are the only ones that even come close, but neither covers the format without some up-res. Films would have to undergo a 4K scan just to fit the format. Lastly I think with all those pixels, they will still try and do some long-GOP 4:2:0 25 or 50 mb/sec stream, making it mostly useless. I would rather see less compressed HD rather than more pixels ultra-HD. But I guess compression ratios isn't really a marketing technique for the masses yet.

Look at the bright side! If you start saving ten bucks a week now, by 2020 you will have enough to buy one of these Ultra HD cams, maybe. Just don't forget to budget for the anti-depressants you will also need as you read about these developing technologies.

This is how I look on Prozac knowing I will never catch up: :rolleyes:

The camera exists, 4 chip (with 2 green sensors ) , and Fuji zoom fixed to the chip block. Its made by Ikegami.

Wow it looks like some thing out of the Soviet Union in 1983.

R,

Actually even these 32 megapixel displays will be obsolete within our lifetime. The ultimate technology will be the holographic displays that will be a sandwich of 24 flat panels with 32 megapixels each for a total number of one billion pixels that will be displayed. Since each pixel will be part of a three dimensional display these will instead be called voxels.

That's why I LOVE film cameras. They can upgrade the film all they want and you can still use the same camera. I can take a camera 50 years old and put new film in it and shoot a movie and nobody would know. I say just stay with film and then you won't have all of these problems. What about archiving HD.....how long will it last? Check and see how much it cost to put all the footage fromt a movie in storage. I don't know if it's true or not but I'm sure that someone does but I heard that it's about 4 times as exspensive as film. If anyone knows for sure please update me.

Jon

P.S. I like what Allen Daviau said when someone asked him how he liked shooting HD now, he said "I've been shooting HD for 30 years it's called film".

Edited by Jon Myers

Soon we will train squirrels to draw every frame in front of us a 1,000,000 fps. There will be a rodent for red & blue and two for green. We'll call it "NutVision."

I can't wait. It would be like win loose or draw on crack. But I fear that will drive up the cost of health care. Can you imagine how much it would cost to repair a squirrel with carpel-tunnel syndrome? and paying into a 401k (in accorns) would be a pain every time you wanted to watch a movie. Its not worth it unless the squirrels also crack flinstones-style jokes when they are off. 'its a living'